Macbook pro SR late 2007 and Crucial M4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bezdusesiniko, Aug 25, 2011.

1. bezdusesiniko macrumors newbie

Macbook pro Santa Rosa late 2007
    Crucial 128 GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s (it should be compatibile with sata II)

Can this be done without problems, i now that i would be limited 1,5 Gb/s.I just want to now if it works?Or I should buy some other ssd?:confused:

2. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

I have a slightly newer MBP, the late 2009 model and run my M4 at SATA1 (1.5Gbps) due to keeping my EFI at v1.6. Zero problems and machine is an absolute joy to use. Boots so quick I do not even see the gear spinning under the Apple logo, straight from chime to Apple logo to desktop.

3. oslomac macrumors newbie

Did you do it and did it work? I am planning on using the Crucial M4 128GB SSD as my primary drive for OS X plus applications, and a MCE Optibay with 1 TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue (9.5 mm) as a secondary drive for the user directories.

Mine is the 15" A1226 MacBook pro 3,1 from late 2007 with 2.6 GHz Santa Rosa chip and 4 GB of RAM.

4. oslomac, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

oslomac macrumors newbie

I did it

After spending hours reading various forums and posts (none of which directly applied to my case, either because of different hardware, or newer software, etc.), I installed the 128GB Crucial M4 SSD as my main boot drive and the 1TB WD drive in the Optibay expansion (in place of the Superdrive).

The machine is actually slower in some respects, though this might be a result of poor tuning. It is lightening fast at waking from sleep, and at first was really quick in iPhoto, but after I made a mistake in migrating part of my HOME folder, ending up breaking it and requiring a re-install, the performance has been mediocre/not better than HDD. Will not bother with the hassle of re-installing again, but surely if done right and tuned correctly, performance gains are possible. THe downside is that startup time is much longer. Seems that the system is a little confused over the Crucial M4 drive at first during the boot cycle (just a guess), as this was not an issue when I had 2 HDDs running on the machine.

Anyhow, if you have a healthy old-timer 2007 MBP model number A1226, then installing an SSD might be worthwhile.

EDIT! See comment below by mbh. After selecting SSD as "startup disk" in System Preferences, the start-up time was much shorter.

5. mbh macrumors 6502

Make sure you have your new startup disk selected in the preference pane. If nothing is selected it can cause startup to be significantly slower.

6. oslomac macrumors newbie

Thanks mbh!

That made a noticeable difference!