Macbook Pro ssd 13inch vs Macbook air 13inch.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satchnl, Dec 13, 2011.

1. satchnl macrumors newbie

Hello Guys & Girls, let me introduce myself. Im Nik and im from The Netherlands, after using windows pc for many many ears, started as a child with them i decided i couldnt go on with them any longer.

Since 2 months ago i started to look at the macbook pro 13'' with ssd vs a macbook air 13,3inch (lower end).

Im really stuck between the two, it's gonna be my main computer. I will use it downstairs as a laptop and upstairs also with an external monitor. What will i do with the laptop? Allot of video watching (internet), musicrecording (guitar), a bit of gaming (modern warfare 1). But really nothing more than the things above.

Which macbook would be a better choice for me with keeping the next things in mind:

- Build Quality
    - Future proof
    - Heating of the device

I hope u folks can help me, thanks in advance,

Best Regards, Nik.

2. kolax macrumors G3

I'd go for the Air. The MacBook Pro will have slightly better performance for your games, but if you are playing on a 13" portable then you shouldn't expect a great gaming experience.

The Air offers a higher resolution display (handy for music recording as you can view more tracks at once etc), and there is no glass over the display so you get a significant amount of less glare.

Since the Air now has a Thunderbolt port, you'll still be able to hook up your recording equipment, though you'd need to get a hub if your recording equipment was firewire based.

The 13" Air really is a capable machine, and competes strongly against the 13" Pro. But for the huge benefit of portability, higher resolution screen and no glass over the display, the Air in my eyes is far better.

3. satchnl thread starter macrumors newbie

Can more people say what they think ? thanks!

4. Risasi macrumors 6502

I have both, either one is sufficient.

Pro:
    Can upgrade memory
    I like the screen better even though a lower resolution

Air:
    Higher res screen, but I think it doesn't look as good.
    .68kg lighter

That's about it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

You mean the screen doesn't look as good or the actual laptop doesn't look as good? I've used the 13" Air for a few months before swapping to the 15" Pro (again), and found the screen to be as good, if not better than my 15" Pro, because there is no glass over the screen, so glare is minimal.

There is a poorer panel out there, I forget how many different panels are used in the Air (3 maybe?), and the one I had was one of the better panels. Down to luck I guess..

As for looks of the Air, I hate the black bezel on the Pro, so the all aluminium finish with black hinge and black keyboard to me looks incredibly sexy.

Each to their own though.

6. Risasi macrumors 6502

The screen itself doesn't look as good. It's a minor difference, and for some it doesn't bug them. But me it does a little, and some it really bugs them.
    Enough that I'm not sure I want to switch to the Air this next refresh. I use my Pro for work (in fact I'm on it now and have been using it for the last ten hours). I need to steal back the Air from my wife and run it for a couple days to see.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Possibly the panel wasn't one of the better ones. Either way, they are still TN panels. Can only hope for IPS in a Mac laptop one day.

8. Risasi macrumors 6502

Na, that's not it. All my coworkers are running Airs too. Everyone who looks at them side by side says there is a difference. Some it bothers, some it doesn't...to varying degrees. I'm merely pointing it out so the OP is aware of it.

Hands down the best screen I've used was the 17" MBP, but that's a whole 'nuther can of worms... :D

9. kolax macrumors G3

I have a friend who has a 17" in matte, makes me jealous every time I see the display.