Macbook Pro SSD install.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by issiciby, Mar 22, 2012.

1. issiciby macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but here it goes.
    I recently bought an SSD and a Hard Drive Caddy for my Macbook pro. I installed my SSD in to my laptop and tried to install Mac OSX on my SSD. The install starts but after a couple of minutes it just stops working and I get an alert saying that the installation has failed.
    So right now, I cant use my SSD even though it is in my laptop because I can't download the Mac OSX on it.
    So my question is, is there any way to solve this problem?
    Is it possible to copy OSX from my HDD in to the SSD?

Here are the links of the products I've bought :

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...JKZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332449063&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/9-5mm-Hard-Dr...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332449090&sr=1-13

Regards

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I used this enclosure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQNXZC/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details

to clone my SSD to an external HD to test Mountain Lion

Yours would be reverse HD to SSD

There may be others ways - this is just what I did.

3. outz macrumors 6502

I had my SSD in a USB enclosure attached to my Mac... Installed carbon copy cloner and it was fairly straight forward with the cloning process..l then replaced the internal hdd w/ my SSD and it booted perfectly

4. issiciby thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I do the cloning of the Mac OS X in my hdd to my SSD only by using the Carbon Copy Cloner ?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.

6. issiciby thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to figure out how to copy Mac OS x from the hdd to the SSD using carbon clone or any other program.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just follow the interactions at the top of this page and it will copy the OS and all your data.

8. elliottfamily5 macrumors member

Is your SSD installed or do you still have HDD installed?

Either way, for me the easiest way was to purchase an enclosure for a 2.5 drive (or a Universal Adapter). OWC works for me, but eBay and other outlets have the same thing. Whatever drive is not in your computer, put it in the enclosure and attach it via USB or FW.

If you have your SSD installed in MBP and HDD in enclosure, boot holding down the "option" key. If HDD is still installed in MBP, just boot normally.

Once running, open Disk Utility and format the SSD correctly. If you need help with that, there are a lot of threads here with step my step on how to do this.

After SSD is formatted, open CCC. CCC has two panes, "source" and "destination." Under source, select your HDD and under destination select your SSD. Then click "clone." If you have a recovery partition on your HDD, CCC will ask you if you want to copy that first. If you do, select the correct option and it will take about a minute. Once that completes, close that CCC recovery partition "pop up" window and select "clone" again. I think it asks if you are sure you want to do this, etc and might ask for your password. The cloning process will be under 30 minutes and will tell you when you are complete.

If SSD is already installed, reboot and you should be up and running. If SSD is in the enclosure, shut down MBP and install the SSD. Restart and you should be up and running.

----------

Or...just do this.

9. bauyeung macrumors newbie

How to clone Lion with Boot Camp to new SSD

15" MBP 2011, 8GB RAM, Lion. Running Win 7 on PD7 (Installed Win 7 by Boot Camp)

I am planning to replace the stock HDD by Samsung 830 SSD and move the HDD to the Opti Bay.
    The above step by step guidelines is great! But little mention about how to clone the similar configuration like mine (as above).

I don't want to clean install both the Lion and Win 7. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

10. issiciby thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply first of all.
    I have them both (SSD and HDD) installed on my laptop at the moment
    The thing with CCC is that I cant seem to find a way to ONLY install the OS and not any other data I have on my HDD. So my question is, can i only install the OS or 'copy' the OS from the HDD to the SSD?
    Thanks

11. outz, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

outz macrumors 6502

oopsie......

12. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

There are a few ways to do this. I just finished installing mine today with an SSD + HDD in my mbp.

I went the route of a fresh install. Downloaded lion and put it on a usb thumb drive (need 8GB or larger). Then boot from the usb key by holding option at the startup. Select the USB thumb drive and it will be self explanatory from there.

Once the OS is installed on the ssd, you can boot from the SSD and view your HDD that you mentioned you have installed. If you want to transfer files, you can open migration assistant or manually transfer what you want.

If you don't have another computer to use, you should be able to boot from the HDD holding option, redownload lion if you don't have it already and create a usb boot drive.

As far as I know, I don't think CCC is smart enough for it to only clone the OS and leave no existing files. I wanted a fresh start anyway on the OS so it wasn't a big problem.

13. Modernape macrumors regular

Yes, CCC can do a cloned install without user data - just select the source, then in the list under 'items to be copied', deselect 'users' and any apps you don't want transferred.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure that will work. If you clone with no users at all what user would the system boot into?

15. issiciby thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved, thanks a lot.
    Regards

16. Modernape macrumors regular

It will startup as if for the first time and offer the creation of the admin account.