Macbook Pro - SSD/Logic Board Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bassline1234, Feb 19, 2014.

1. bassline1234 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have upgraded my Macbook with a Samsung SSD in place of the factory hard drive and a 1tb drive in an Optibay enclosure in place of the optical drive.

Last month the computer froze up and wouldn't boot from the SSD. It still booted from the 1tb and from the original drive in a USB enclosure although about 1 in every 5 times it wouldn't boot at all.

After booting from the OSX partition on the 1tb drive the computer seems really slow, this was probably partly due to being used to the SSD but anyway it seemed slower than I remembered it. Whilst booting from the 1tb drive I tried to find the SSD in Disk Utility and other disk tools but the computer wouldn't recognise it.

As soon as I swapped the SSD into the external USB enclosure it worked fine and I was able to boot from it, I then put the original factory drive back into the computer and that worked fine. Is this a sign that my logic board is on the way out?

I was thinking I may need to reformat all my drives and reinstall OSX, they are all really full, though I guess this has got nothing to do with the cause of my problem? If the drive just needed reformatting you would still expect it to show up in Disk Utility?

I have tried all the usual fix permissions, reset SMC, etc but to no avail. Any suggestions would be much appreciated..........

Cheers,

Ben :)

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Several such reported issues ended up being the sata cable, like it was good enough for sata 1 or 2, but not for sata3. I don't have links handy, but it's hope for a cheaper fix!

3. bassline1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I'll check that out......I should have added that the SSD was working perfectly for about 6 months before this happened, could it still be an issue with the SATA cable?