MacBook Pro SSD Problem! HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MJava, Mar 1, 2010.

1. MJava macrumors newbie

I just got a new 80GB Intel x25-M G2 from newegg (model # SSDSA2M080G2 not SSDSA2MH080G2, anyone know the diff?). I installed it in the usual hard drive slot, flashed the firmware and installed OSX. Everything was working fine until I tried installing the stock 500GB HDD into the optical bay with a SATA optical bay HDD enclosure from ifixit. After that install my computer would turn back on after every shutdown, and the bluetooth and airport cards were not showing up. After flashing PRAM and all that other good stuff I got the shutdown and bluetooth problems fixed. However, the Airport Card is still not working; even if I boot off an external HD. It seems to be hardware, but what could have gone wrong? I followed ifixit's directions to the T and I'm always very careful.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! I can't go back to a regular HDD after playing with the SSD for a couple days! Thanks

PS) I'm running a 15" Mid-2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 4GB RAM

2. binarydev macrumors newbie

Hey I just bought the same hard drive myself (except it's # SSDSA2MH080G2). My MBP comes Wednesday though so I can't comment on my own installation, but why didn't you just install the SSD in the optical bay? It'd run at the same speed and the HDD bay has a Sudden Motion Sensor to protect your mechanical drive. have you tried running it with the stock HDD running in the HDD bay and the SSD removed? or even with the HDD in it's bay and the optical drive back in place?

My personal opinion is you'd be best off putting the SSD where the Optical Drive was, which is what I will be doing. There have been solutions/fixes made for the hibernation issue this originally caused, Other than that, there are no issues with having the SSD in the optibay, and no speed penalties either..look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=851189

3. MJava thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried switching the HDD and SSD but the problems persist. Next time I'll try to put the SSD in the optbay from the start and see if that causes the failure. Why should it make any difference though? Thanks for the help and let me know how your install goes. Also, what are your MBP's specs?

4. MJava thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried just the HDD, again, no luck. I think something in the setup caused hardware failure that persists.

5. MJava thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MJava thread starter macrumors newbie

Good News!

I replaced the Airport card and tried installing the SSD into the optibay first and everything went fine. Thrilled with the results. I did notice that boot times are a bit longer when running dual hard drives. SO WORTH THE TROUBLE AND COST.

7. binarydev macrumors newbie

Hey I just installed mine today in the optical bay and it went great, I'm typing this post on it right now. I have a 17" glossy screen with 4GB ram, a 500GB 7200 rpm drive and a 3.06GHz cpu.

8. 1340mike398 macrumors newbie

To Resolve the Problem:

1st: Turn off the "Sudden Motion Sensor":
    -http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934
    2nd: Turn off "Put the hard disk(s) asleep when possible"
    Go to System Preferences>Energy Saver & turn off for both "battery" & "power adapter"

3rd: Problem Resolved.