Macbook Pro SSD prospect.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardBeer, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

It has been my desire to upgrade to an SSD since I purchased my mac back in late 2009, the main attraction being the speed increase and future proofing speed wise. I have been considering for a long while purchasing this brand-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-007-CR

However after hearing of the upcoming 25nm drives and the prospect of their effect on the pricing of contemporary SSDs, I am wondering if purchasing one would be a wise decision? Also bearing in mind:

1) The potential issues arising from using an SSD.
    2) The prospect of performance degradation (although I hear this is no longer an issue)
    3) And the S-ATA 3 interface, (although I assume it is backwards compatible with a S-ATA 2 interface).

To provide context, my mac is a 13'3 Macbook Pro 5,5, the 2.53ghz, 250GB HDD and 4GB RAM model.

I would be grateful for any input regarding the pros or cons of undertaking this and particularly an account of peoples experiences.

A main question being- Is it worth upgrading to? Although from what I understand the 25nm drives will be developed and sold by Intel and Micron whose drives are outside my price range; so they aren't a viable upgrade option.

Thanks.

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Intel is doing the 25nm shrink and will come out with numerous newer SSDs within the first or second qtr of 2011. Presumably, the new Intel drives will have both higher capacity and a price which is half of their current drives. With that said, the Crucial is a great choice and it is also SATA3 (6.0) compliant which means you can use it in the next hard drive revision as well.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

micron just announced the crucial c400 series ssd's which aren't out yet but will be in the not too distant future.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac