Macbook Pro ssd question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by osu731, Nov 13, 2010.

1. osu731 macrumors newbie

So I've read that a lot of people on the forum have installed "aftermarket or 3rd party" ssds.

I'm trying to decide between a 13'' macbook pro and a macbook air, but want to have the speed of the ssd as is present in the air. If i get the 128 gb ssd from apple, will it be the same model as the ones being put in the air?

Can I expect to have even better performance than the air (w/ the ssd that you can get from apple's custom configuration), seeing as though the pro has a 2.4 ghz processor? I haven't seen any comparisons of a 13'' macbook pro with the "apple" 128 ssd to the macbook air. (also the air I would consider getting is the 2.13 ghz processor)

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. auero macrumors 65816

I would recommend not to even bother with Apple's SSD. They're very expensive and don't match the speed of the other brand of SSD's. Installing is painless and very easy. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I just purchased an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240GB for my 15" i7 and I love it. It cost a bit but it was worth it.

You'll have better performance than the air in most ways with even the regular hard drive on the 13" macbook pro. I'd go with getting the macbook pro simply because you can easily upgrade it and with an SSD it will be much faster than the Air. It just all depends on what you honestly use it for. An SSD will benefit mostly from the OS + Applications. In data, you won't see much of a difference unless they're HUGE photoshop files.

Also note that OS X doesn't support TRIM yet so you want a drive that is SANDFORCE driven.

EDIT: Here is what I got (just a smaller drive) http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/YSSDMP120/ It's a hundred less than what apple wants for their drive, its faster and you even get an enclosure for your old hard drive to convert it into an external. Just literally pops right in. Their customer service has been phenomenal for me.

3. osu731, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

osu731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Questions: doesn't adding a third party ssd automatically void the apple warranty??

Can anyone comment on the performance of the "apple" ssd that you can get on the macbook pro?

4. kalex macrumors 65816

No your warranty is not voided as hard drive is user replacable

5. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Adding a 3rd party hdd will not void your warranty. There are a few threads touching on this subject. Apple even provides a manual helping you change out your hdd or RAM.

Oops, looks like kalex beat me to it :)

6. osu731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can someone please comment on the Apple ssd that you can order when you custom configure the the macbook pro from the apple site.

ie.. what kind of ssd is it, does it have its own TRIM type of feature, what is its quality in comparison to other ssd's on the market?

It seems as though a lot of people recommend the OWC brand. Can someone please comment on a comparison between the two?