Macbook Pro SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B.LI, Sep 24, 2011.

1. B.LI macrumors regular

Hey there, I am planning to replace my current MBP hard drive with a SSD mainly due to many positive user responses of the performance after instalment, has got me interests. I am a graphic designer who use demanding editing programs such as photoshops, etc. and would love to have a boost in performance making work easier for me.

But I am totally useless with the computer parts so would like helpful recommendations on good SSDs, willing to pay within range of £500 gbp...

Current using early 2011 MBP 15" with 8gb 1333 after RAM replacement already

Cheers,

2. timex88 macrumors newbie

HI There,
    I am too in the same boat , although with different hardware,
    but from what I gathered here in the forum. for the 2011 mbp, ssd options
    is quite large.
    did you tried the search function?

brands such as
    OWC
    Crucial M4
    Intel
    Samsung

might turn up in your search.

3. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

The Samsung 830 will be released in a month. It is the successor to the venerable 470 (which my MBP is equipped with). Anand says the 830 will be priced similarly to what the 470 is now. If you need a drive at this moment, go with the 470, it's more reliable than any SSD out there. Although, the latest Mac firmware update might have resolved the SATA III annoyances, therefore the Crucial M4 might be worth a look too.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah me too I am a digital artist I find SSD very tempting I am not sure if 128 or 256GB is good enough for me I don't plan to save all finished photos on SSD. Or am I better off with Seagate Momentous XT 500GB? Or should I focus on working photos on my superfastest and powerful AMD Althon X2 64 desktop PC?

5. md301 macrumors member

hi

i upgraded mine by myself from 5400 to ssd corsair, why not crucial? what is the difference? crucial is like $100 more. the reading writing speed have a little difference, only maybe my corsair is less than 30 mb slower than crucial. i can live with this as it is still alot faster than the default hard drive. i am a graphic artist too with heavy photography background. my photoshop cs 5 loads in 1 sec.

the only downside with corsair is, it puts my mac into deep sleep when i close the lid. so everytime i open lid its still asleep but i can live with this because i only had to hit the decrease brightness keyboard button to wake it up.

you do not have to buy corsair, it could be different brand. but be careful of the cheap ones, see the writing and reading speed. the ssd that are cheap has way slower than the crucial ssd. even way slower than my corsair.

also make sure its returnable, as the sales people sometimes say its compatible with the mbp 2011 but you would see the problem once you use it.

good luck getting one as i am very happy with mine.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009