Macbook Pro ssd setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loneranger93, Aug 12, 2012.

1. loneranger93 macrumors newbie

hey guys i have a 15" macbook 2012 non retina model.

i have decided to load this laptop with two samsung 830 ssds.

i was wondering if i should buy the owc data doubler or use a generic hard drive caddy for the second ssd. the ssds are sata III 6.0 gbps. can the generic caddy from here http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody-MacBook-SuperDrive-Replacement/dp/B0058AH2US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344827497&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+caddy support this type of sata ssd.

someone please help me answer these questions.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Checked some of the reviews and other buyers have reported that it will work at sata III speeds.

3. loneranger93 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks bro!

4. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

The 2012 15 MBP will work with SATA 3 in optical bay. For the caddy, go for the generic one.

5. tryskylife, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

tryskylife macrumors newbie

Sorry this was intended for loneranger93.. or maxwelltech :)

Hey loneranger93, im just wondering how this worked out for you as i have the same exact system you have. I bought the Drive caddy on amazon and a Kingston 128 SSd and first put it into an external drive, formatted it, installed mountain lion, booted up from mountain lion from external drive and it work flawlessly. I went on to install the actual Hdd into the caddy and replace the optical bay. After all was back together it booted up perfect and FAST, until i rebooted it to check boot speed, after that i got the spinning beach ball and it would hang and freeze all the time not even useable. i must have reformatted and re installed 7 times. after hours and hours of research i came to the conclusion sata 3 will not work in this laptop (Lots of people saying this on threads with a google search) so i gave it up and returned it back to staples.
    So im wondering if this worked for you? I would like to try the samsung if it did.
    Thanks!

6. loneranger76 macrumors newbie

ill try it and tell u. i still ddidnt get my laptop.