macbook pro SSD upgrade fail /but works!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmac2011, Feb 12, 2011.

1. newmac2011 macrumors newbie

hello,

i have a macbook pro mc374b/a , brand new only had it 2weeks, i have replaced the hdd 250gb with a 128gb SSD drive.

the SSD i used was a Kingston 128GB SSDNow V100 2.5" SATAII Read=250MB/sec, Write=230MB/s - Notebook Bundle

manufacturer #: SV100S2N/128G

I simply took the dvd osx dvd and started my macbook pro up , the folder with a question mark appeared and i put the dvd in the drive, this started the install disc.

Then followed the on screen options, to install osx, i used the "Disk Utility".

I choose, to "erase" the ssd drive, using the default options, then the install could see the ssd drive.

I then named the drive kingston and let the install finish, after 30mins the macbook restarted and the up came the os.

PROBLEMS

At first the install seemed like a success but then i noticed the macbook would freeze and crash when used, for example safari stoped working while on the web.

Then i tried vlc player with a avi file and it crashed.

Next i noticed it wouldnt shut down at all.

If any one can see why this is happening please help, I did research this drive and it was reported by other users as a good ssd for mac.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Have you tried opening software update to make sure there are not any firmware updates for your machine?
    Did your drive come with a software CD?

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I installed this exact drive about 3 weeks ago with no problems at all.
    (mid 2010 MBP 15" 2.4- standard otherwise)
    There is no need to install any other software to get this drive running but
    I would run software update anyway just to be sure.
    TBH I suspect you have a bad drive.

4. newmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello, thanks for the replys

well i have updated the mac , there didnt seem to be anything that was important, just itunes and other stuff.

however the mac now runs perfectly , sleep and shutdown boots quick and runs very smooth.

I know kingston have a V+ version of the ssd i have but this one i believe is cheaper, and 230MB/s seems like a good write speed to me.

YES i do have a extra dvd which contains various other bits of software i installed this too, i dont think it has anything to do with ssd's though.

note: i am looking to test the ssd further now , i just dont know what software i could use to make sure it isnt fautly

thanks agen