Macbook Pro SSD Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mobiletaylor, May 27, 2012.

1. mobiletaylor macrumors member

I probably should have asked this before installing, but here goes:

1 - I purchased a new 240 GIG SSD drive
    2 - Did a SuperDuper backup to a firewire external drive
    3 - Pulled out the internal drive and installed the SSD
    4 - Booted from external drive
    5 - Formatted the SSD using Journaled (Extended) called it Macintosh HD
    6 - Started SuperDuper and did a copy from external to SSD using Restore All Files
    7 - Restarted the computer from SSD.
    8 - It's currently indexing the SSD.

Did I do this correctly? Was there a better way? What issues will I run into doing this?

Thanks,

JT

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should be fine with that process.

The only thing I can see missing is if you are on Lion, that process will leave you without a Lion Recovery Partition. If you want to have a Lion Recovery Partition you can just reinstall Lion over top of what you have now. That will create the partition and not harm your existing install/data. Backup first of course just to be safe.

3. mobiletaylor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'll do that.

I installed a 240 Sandisk Extreem. Under about this mac it shows no TRIM support? Is that correct?

It looks like there is a new update from Sandisk for the drive. I'll update and see if that changed anything.

Thanks again!

JT

4. mobiletaylor thread starter macrumors member

Upgrade went fine. Looks like there is no trim support for third part drives in Lion.

Looks like there is an app called Trim Enabler. Any reason not to use this?

Thanks,

JT

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct, it will say no TRIM because only Apple OEM drives have TRIM enabled. There is a thread here showing how to install a hack to enable TRIM on aftermarket drives like yours. IMO it is not needed, but opinions vary on this. A lot of people use it with no problem, but hacking a core system file like this worries me. The newer drives like yours have very good built in garbage collection which lessens the need for TRIM.

6. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

That's an awful lot of steps.

This what I do. I have an external USB SATA drive adapter. I plug the new drive into that and format it. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to it. Swap the drives and voila! It's done.

I've done this many times with no problem. You can buy the adapter online for maybe 15-20 bucks.

7. mobiletaylor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

Is this the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125400

JT

----------

I'll remember that next time! :)

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I have the exact same drive and I have enabled Trim via the hack and it is working perfectly.

10. mobiletaylor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info!

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

How are you finding the Sandisk? Have you had any issues or are you satisfied with it?

12. mobiletaylor thread starter macrumors member

It's been great! Can't believe I waited so long. I will never run a laptop without an SSD again.

JT

13. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Sweet. I can't believe more people are not talking about this drive. It's been flawless for me so far.

14. MysteryStep macrumors newbie

I just received my Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD today! Can't wait to try it out.

I have a few questions about moving everything over to the new drive though. I'm not sure how to go about moving everything (OSes, files, apps, etc.) over like I want. Ideally, I would use the SSD for the OSes and apps and move the 750GB HDD to the Optibay for storage, but I don't want to void my Applecare.

I have a 250GB boot camp partition with Windows 7 Professional that I (almost) never boot into and a 500GB OS X Lion partition. I have Parallels 6 with a VM of Boot Camp that I use much more often.

What I think I would like to do is a fresh Lion install on the SDD and Migrate all the files and apps I need (I've installed a lot of things I don't need). I would like to keep the boot camp partition and shrink it to about 40GB and then move it over to the SSD. But if that's just not possible, I would be ok with moving forward with just the Boot Camp VM (if that's possible?).

I guess my question would be: How do I go about this upgrade without losing my Windows 7 install and programs? I use various Windows programs for work, so getting rid of that is not really an option.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-MysteryStep :apple: