MacBook Pro SSD wipe with 0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Constantine1337, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have an SSD in my MacBook Pro 2.53 i5. Since I know that there are very little (or none) programs to "trim"/keep my SSD healthy, I am forced to do a complete wipe of the drive from time to time. I googled for the best way to do it.... most of those ways are windows-only, and few linux-based solution don't work so well... but here is the question:

since all those programs (like HDD Erase on windows) basically wipe the SSD with writing "0" all over it, would I get the same effect if I were to boot from OSX Install DVD and wipe the SSD with "0" using Disk Utility?

In my eyes, all these programs do, is wipe SSD with "0", which is also possible with the Disk Utility. Am I right?

Also one small question for those with a Samsung SSD: in the System-Profiler, does OSX see your SSD as "SSD Type" or "HardDrive Type"?

Regards,
    Milan

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Wiping the ssd by WRITING 0 is not a solution on the lack of trim command in os x. You are better of doing nothing.

3. Baral macrumors member

Do NOT 0 erase or 1 erase your SSD! This is essentially filling up your SSD with data, and is the exact opposite of TRIM. TRIM prepares the cella for writing, it does not write over cells.

0 erase/1 erase will make your SSD worse and is not at all what TRIM does.

4. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, but what are those programs like HDDErase doing then? Aren't they writing 0 to entire SSD just as DiskUtility does?

Are there any mac alternatives on restoring SSD to original health, even with losing the data (which is not a problem btw)?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the difference between SSDs and HDs.

6. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, there has to be some way to restore SSD to original health... there are many ways to do it on windows... :/

7. Baral macrumors member

Restoring an SSD to factory performance is NOT writing 0s to it. SSD and HDD simply work in different ways. You can't think of them as the same technology.

Without getting into a huge Windows vs. Mac thing here, there are some things that OSX is better at, and there are some things that Windows 7 is better at. SSD support is one of those things that Win 7 is far superior to OSX.

However, if you're feeling up to it, there are a few ways to restore your SSD on your Mac. Read this for the fastest/easiest way:
    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

While this is the most straightforward method, it is still a pain in the ass and TRIM is infinitely easier. But if you must use your beloved Mac, this is the way to do it.

8. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answer. Do you know if there is any free program that does same SSD wipe?