Macbook Pro SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richey Villa, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Richey Villa macrumors newbie

Hi I have just purchased A new macbook pro with flash memory (SSD). I was wondering if this sort of memory needs to be regularly defragged? Or if not regular how often? Also what other tasks do I need to carry out to maintain my Mac? I'm a newbee to Mac. Help will be greatly appreciated :D

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

NEVER defragment an SSD. That is only useful for HDDs. If you do it to an SSD, it will end up writing a bunch of times to the SSD unnecessarily, which will lower the life span of the SSD in the long run.

To maintain the Mac, keep good care of it and use it as you usually would a computer. Macs do not require as much upkeep as PCs.

And congratulations on your new computer!

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. So my pro won't slow down then if I don't defragment?

----------

Could you send me a link for you SSD tweaking thread please.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It will a little bit as the years go on and as it fills up. Leave about 10-15% empty and unformated. Also, if you write lots of info to the drive per day (GBs worth) then it might slow down a little bit. But that is nothing that defragmenting can help. It is normal and occurs with HDDs too (HDDs slow down as you reach the storage limit).

Do you have the Pro with Retina or just the Pro updated aftermarket to an SSD?

Here is the link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505922

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... you will be fine.

On a normal hard drive OS X does a pretty good job on its own handling file fragmentation. You can read a bit about it here. But like mentioned, with an SSD you should not defragment at all.

7. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 13 inch MacBook Pro with retina and a 256gb SSD

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Great computer. Enjoy not having to defragment regularly! :)

9. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you :)

Yeah it's a great little machine best laptop I've ever had. There twice the price but you do get what you pay for. I've wanted one for a long time.