Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I got a macbook pro with i5 2.5
10gb 1600 mhz ddr3
intel HD 4000 1024 MB
500 hard rive with 10.10.2

My question what type of SSD is good for macbook pro 2012?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Any modern SSD

I got a macbook pro with i5 2.5
10gb 1600 mhz ddr3
intel HD 4000 1024 MB
500 hard rive with 10.10.2

My question what type of SSD is good for macbook pro 2012?

Any modern SSD with the right size and price for you. I would reccomend the Crucial MX range as these seem to be having the least chance of an issue. The Samsung EVO range is the best performance for price but there are a few issues with yosemite and compatability that need to be addressed before install. Search the forums there are a few threads on it.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
Any modern SSD with the right size and price for you. I would reccomend the Crucial MX range as these seem to be having the least chance of an issue. The Samsung EVO range is the best performance for price but there are a few issues with yosemite and compatability that need to be addressed before install. Search the forums there are a few threads on it.

Would this one work?
Intel - 530 Series 240GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive from best buy?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
That supported Mac os x 10.10.2 with no prob i take it:)

A hard drive's a hard drive's a hard drive.

So long as it has the correct port and physically fits in the computer, it'll work. The whole "Made for Mac" thing is a pure marketing gimmick intended to make you spend more money than you need to. A Mac is a regular old PC in a pretty case that runs OS X.

Any 2.5" SATA II/III drive at or under 9.5mm thick will fit and work.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
A hard drive's a hard drive's a hard drive.

So long as it has the correct port and physically fits in the computer, it'll work. The whole "Made for Mac" thing is a pure marketing gimmick intended to make you spend more money than you need to. A Mac is a regular old PC in a pretty case that runs OS X.

Any 2.5" SATA II/III drive at or under 9.5mm thick will fit and work.

I thought that said where have prob with the SSD so i take it not true?

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
I recently put a Crucial MX100 unit in my 2011 macbook pro and am very satisfied with it.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I recently put a Crucial MX100 unit in my 2011 macbook pro and am very satisfied with it.

I was thinking of get one from bestbuy and have the geeks put it in or was thinking of get 16gb of ram right now i have 10gb not sure just thinking about it:)

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
I was thinking of get one from bestbuy and have the geeks put it in or was thinking of get 16gb of ram right now i have 10gb not sure just thinking about it:)

You don't need a tech guy to either of those installs. If you need to prioritize between them I'd go for the SSD first. It makes a huge difference. I currently switch between 4gb and 16gb on my macbook pro and really don't see any difference between the configurations.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You don't need a tech guy to either of those installs. If you need to prioritize between them I'd go for the SSD first. It makes a huge difference. I currently switch between 4gb and 16gb on my macbook pro and really don't see any difference between the configurations.

If you weren't running out of RAM in the first place, there's no reason you should see any difference.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
If you weren't running out of RAM in the first place, there's no reason you should see any difference.

I have to see what SSD drive they have there.For use sketch 3 10gb is good for that?

When come to sad install i just bit nerves But we going to best buy soon i hope i find good ssd there:)

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Would this one work?
Intel - 530 Series 240GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive from best buy?

Hey!

I bought this one a few days ago!!!

I put it in my 2012 15" - It is great!

Get it while it's on sale. I've been thinking about getting another one for my 2012 mini...

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
Hey!

I bought this one a few days ago!!!

I put it in my 2012 15" - It is great!

Get it while it's on sale. I've been thinking about getting another one for my 2012 mini...

Intel® - 530 Series 240GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive it bit more bigger for my needs:D

You get it at best buy?

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
If i go SSD can i go back to mac os x 10.9.5 or should i stay with 10.10.2 that if if i have best buy geeks do a fresh install?

Do you have a spare USB flash drive? If not - pick one up at Best Buy when you get the SSD (16GB should do)!

Then format it in disk utility, then download yosemite from the app store and put it on there.

Then install the hard drive, you may have to press option or so (I don't remember) but the option comes up to install yosemite from the USB drive onto the SSD.

That or you can do a time machine backup if you have enough space on a spare drive.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Do you have a spare USB flash drive? If not - pick one up at Best Buy when you get the SSD (16GB should do)!

Then format it in disk utility, then download yosemite from the app store and put it on there.

Then install the hard drive, you may have to press option or so (I don't remember) but the option comes up to install yosemite from the USB drive onto the SSD.

That or you can do a time machine backup if you have enough space on a spare drive.
That model is able to boot into internet recovery when no recovery partition is present. OP doesn't need to make an install flash drive at all.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
So i take noone had any prob with Intel® - 530 Series with mac os x 10.10.3?What you mean put the image on a usb drive?

And how do i do a time machine backup on to the new ssd drive?

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So i take noone had any prob with Intel® - 530 Series with mac os x 10.10.3?What you mean put the image on a usb drive?

And how do i do a time machine backup on to the new ssd drive?

The Intel 530 should work, yes, but it's rather expensive, and pretty old. And it uses the SandForce controller, which in some instances in the past has been less than optimal.
You'd be spending your money far more wisely on the newer, faster, cheaper, and better reviewed Samsung 850 EVO.

If you have an up to date Time Machine backup, you don't need to bother with any USB flash drives and OS X installations.
With your Time Machine drive attached and the new SSD installed, simply start your MBP while holding down Option/Alt and select your Time Machine drive in the menu. From there you can do a complete restore of everything including the operating system and be up and running with your new SSD quite easily.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
The Intel 530 should work, yes, but it's rather expensive, and pretty old. And it uses the SandForce controller, which in some instances in the past has been less than optimal.
You'd be spending your money far more wisely on the newer, faster, cheaper, and better reviewed Samsung 850 EVO.

If you have an up to date Time Machine backup, you don't need to bother with any USB flash drives and OS X installations.
With your Time Machine drive attached and the new SSD installed, simply start your MBP while holding down Option/Alt and select your Time Machine drive in the menu. From there you can do a complete restore of everything including the operating system and be up and running with your new SSD quite easily.

So understand right i install the ssd inside the laptop and then i take my time machine and press Option/Alt at the same time and will that have the restore image to?

Sound a lot easy then clone the drive?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So understand right i install the ssd inside the laptop and then i take my time machine and press Option/Alt at the same time and will that have the restore image to?

Sound a lot easy then clone the drive?

- Yes, simply hold Option while starting your computer and then choose your Time Machine drive in the list. Then you'll be presented with a window asking what you'd like to do. Choose Restore from Time Machine and you're on your way. As simple as that.
When it's done, everything on your computer will be exactly the same as before you installed the SSD (applications, files, settings, etc.), except you'll now have the awesome speed of an SSD. :)

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
For trim is support for mac os x but not 3 partly software am i right?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.