MacBook Pro SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Claymore, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Claymore macrumors newbie

I'm wondering does anyone have an idea if the SSD in the new MacBook Pro is upgradable later on? If it's not soldered on or anything, I'd probably get 512gb one with a view to upgrading it myself down the line.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

While it is likely technically possible, I doubt that makes financial sense. It will be cheaper to buy it now than try to locate one on the secondary market. The unit is likely similar to the current modules which are proprietary to Apple. So you have to get one from someway like a repair shop or unit that was declared beyond economic repair. Also, not sure about warranty support for an upgraded system.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

While I haven't seen confirmation, Apple's graphics looked a whole lot like it was soldered onto the logic board.

4. End User Onizuka macrumors newbie

I was going back and forth on what size HDD to get, and I just saw this on the configuration screen where you click on the link that asks how much memory is for you:

"Your MacBook Pro comes standard with a superfast 512GB PCIe-based SSD. You can configure it up to 1TB, giving you more space to store your documents, photos, music, videos, and apps. Please note that this storage is built into the computer, so if you think you’ll need additional storage capacity in the future, it’s important to upgrade at the time of purchase."

That's what it says under the RAM options too...

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It said that on the previous gen too; even though it was technically removable, Apple don't deem the SSDs to be user-upgradeable, so they say it's built-in. RAM will definitely be soldered.

I think our best bet is waiting for an iFixit teardown to see what's what.

Yep, almost certainly. If memory serves, they've been soldered in the portables since at least 2008. I think the only removable GPUs were in the iMacs.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

In their x-ray views during the presentation it looked very similar to the existing SSDs which are just held in with one screw.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I apologise for the unclear post. I meant that the X-ray style graphics/drawings that Apple showed in the keynote appeared to show that the SSD was soldered onto the logic board. I didn't mean it looked like the GPU was soldered - which would be a redundant statement (and also irrelevant to this thread) since it's been that way for ages. :)

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Sorry JT, my fault as well! I was a little confused about what you said too, yet the cogs didn't whirl enough to question it. You're normally the go-to guy for knowing all there is about Apples, so I should have thought better :D

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- No worries. :)