MacBook Pro stand recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phannon666, Apr 28, 2008.

1. phannon666 macrumors regular

After reading a load of other "mouse recommendation" threads I made an informed decision without starting up a new one. I've opted for the Logitech G7 in carbon fibre black (w00t). Should arrive wednesday. Now as well as that I was looking for a stand to elevate the laptop to a more natural position but not so high that I would have to buy a new keyboard as well (seems fairly pointless). What are you guys using? I liked the look of the logitech Alto Connect but I'm concerned that it would sit my MBP too high to use the keyboard easily.

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I have honestly never seen the point of a stand, just a really good desk seems to make more sense to me... although I am open to education.

3. .mark. macrumors 6502

on the contrary, I think laptop stands are invaluable! I use one now with an external keyboard and mouse. The stand serves several purposes

1. Lifts the height of the display which makes working more comfortable
    2. Helps cooling as you get lots of airflow around the laptop
    3. Possibly gives you more desk space?! I keep a folder in the gap between the base of the stand and where the laptop is elevated to
    4. Last but not least (possibly the best reason), It keeps the laptop out of the way of drinks spillage. My last laptop died from a pint of water being knocked over it. Needless to say I was not using a laptop stand. Since then, I use a stand. I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that if I (or someone else) knock over a drink on my desk, my MBP is safely out the way!

I would recommend you get an external keyboard. The mac wireless keyboard is highly recommended - and actually very small on the desk! using the laptops keyboard whilst on the stand is a no no, unless for random one key presses (eg shortcuts)! typing would not work (in my opinion).

(FYI i use the griffin stand)

4. mikethemovie macrumors member

I would get an external keyboard as well.. I use a Apple Wireless keyboard on my windows laptop and its just fanastic.. It types great.. And the design is fabulous.. You leave your MBP on the stand.. No hassle with wires or something.. etc.. I dont have a stand yet, but planning on getting one.. The only question i have, will the stand not be to high for me..? I will go and check it out.. see ya!

Apple Store is being updated! w00t w00t!

5. phannon666 thread starter macrumors regular

After some searching for reviews, I found one that gave me a real slap in the face reality check. The lip on the stand of the connect covers the slot loading drive, bleh! Review here But I don't know how much this will really annoy me in practice, it looks very stylist and the MBP could do with the extra USB ports that this stand offers. Much tidier than getting a hub as well as a stand.