MacBook Pro start up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chriscrk, Nov 25, 2014.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I was watching a video on my 2011 MBP, when my computer suddenly froze with the graphics messing up and the sound got stuck on repeat. I had to restart, and now every time I turn it on, it gets stuck halfway through, the load up bar disappears and the computer gets stuck on a white screen.

I've started safe boot but it doesn't work, trying to start with up with my partition doesn't work either, screen just goes black.

Any recommendations? Unfortunately I don't live in the US, so I can't have a genius appointment as idk if that graphics replacement thing is available for me as I live in South America and bought it in another retail store.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate hit your Mac.

There is no replacement program for it.

Solutions:
    1. Buy new one.
    2. Pay for logic board replacement (which will definitely break again)
    3. Reball a new GPU into the logic board with leaded solder.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If your Macbook is the 15" or 17" one, then it is probably radeongated. There must be at least one Apple Authorized Service Provider in your country. Otherwise, the retail store where you bought the Macbook should provide some support.

4. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Why would the logic board break again?

I'm trying to look for a cheaper option that will let me have my computer for a few more years at least :/

----------

Yeah, there are official retail stores in my country that also do repair services. I Guess I'll just contact them and see if there's any good option for a fix.

5. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Weirdly enough, I just turned my Mac on again and it worked. Last night it also worked when using V-mode to startup (although it turned off and I was unable to boot it up again, even in verbose mode).

It logs in to my desktop but everything runs pretty slow. Is this possible if it's affected by radeongate? Or might i have another problem on my hands?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It would break again because no new boards are produced anymore. Apple are just using refurb boards in the repairs, which all contain the same flaw.

7. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Oh right, thanks.

If I managed to turn my computer on this morning (booted up normally), what does this mean? That the GPU hasn't failed on me completely?

It seems to be running normally...
    I'm going to keep tasks to a minimum and use a stand that has a fan to keep temperature to a minimum.