Macbook Pro starts crashing/freezing randomly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbroadcast, Feb 23, 2016.

1. macbroadcast, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

macbroadcast macrumors member

Not sure what's up lately with my Macbook pro retina display, but it keeps freezing/crashing randomly and I'm unable to do anything. I have to hold down the power button to restart it. I've updated to the latest OS X Yosemite V 10.10.5 and still hasn't fixed the problem and not sure whats causing it.

I'm worried I'm damaging the computer by always having to hold down the power button.

Any ideas?

2. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Bump. Any idea guys?

This is a concern cause the Mac could crash at anytime and I would have unsaved work (Adobe projects).

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Make sure you have at least 15% free space on your drive.

If that is not the problem, try booting into the Recovery Partition by booting while holding down Command-r, then run Repair Disk from Disk Utility.

Also, unless you have an SSD drive, when you are in Disk Utility make a not of the S.M.A.R.T. status of your drive. If it is anything but "verified", your drive is failing.

4. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for reply.

Yes, my mac didn't have much disk space. But I want to also try the Recovery Partition by holding down command r, but my mac seems to be only restarting in the black screen with apple logo and loading bar, not the white screen?

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Try starting in safe mode by holding down the shift key. Assuming it boots, delete some stuff so that you have at least 10% of your drive free. Then run Verify Disk from Disk Utility. Also make a note of the S.M.A.R.T. status of your drive (assuming it is not an SSD).

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I had this start happening.. took it in for repair. Eventually they gave up and I got a new system.

7. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thank you John DS, I'll try that and get back to you.

Did you loose all your date?

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If you take in for repair it's always best to make sure you have your own backup of data, they never 100% gaurantee it.

9. macbroadcast, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

What exactly occurred to your mac for you to it take to repair. (How did it crash exactly). Maybe your issue was different to mine.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Random freezing/locksups. Usually it restarted itself after about a minute of being frozen.

11. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

My Macbook would freeze and make a slight repeating noise (like 1sec audio stuck in a loop) and that's it, it wouldn't restart by its self. Have to restart it using the power button.

Hope the solutions JohnDS said to do work, without repairing the system. :O