Macbook Pro startup disk full, can I add memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sandmoon, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sandmoon macrumors newbie

I have a MBP17B HD200 with plenty of GB left, but it tells me the startup disk is full, so it is not working very well and cannot update applications. However when I check the disk utility program it tells me there is 22GB left on the hard disk. I have not made partitions, so I do not understand why the startup disk would be full if the hard drive is not.

Is there anyway to enlarge the volume of the startup disk? And, if so, how? Removing applications is not my preferred option, since I need them!

Thank you for your help.
    S

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you have big files like movies or video clips, try to get a external portable hard drive and transfer all you files to there.
    After the transfer delete the big files from your Mac and use it through your external HDD.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Startup Disk = Hard Drive. 22GB's is enough (but getting close to full), but it's entirely possible some temporary files were taking up additional space and filling up that space.

Unless you have files you can delete or offload to an external drive, I'd recommend upgrading your internal hard drive. It's cheap and will solve the problem 100% with not too much effort.

jW

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

This almost sounds to me like something is wrong on the HDD.

I know a similar situation occurred on an older G4 Mac Pro when someone downloaded and tried to install an application written for INTEL based machines only.

I was lucky enough to be able to undo the damage, but it would not even allow me to save a Word File that was open and already existed.

May not be your problem, but look at the last few Apps you installed and see if one might somehow be reserving unused HDD space.