MacBook Pro Startup Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tyelford, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tyelford macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a MBP that is nearly 3 years old now. I have an issue when starting the Mac up or when it wakes up from sleeping where it just shuts itself off instantly, similar to what would happen if you pulled the plug from a desktop computer.

Some examples, if I have the MBP turned off and I press the power button I hear the Apple Dong sound, but about half way through the dong it just powers off altogether. The only way to turn it on is to hold the power button until the light on the front blinks rapidly.

This also happens when waking up from a sleep. When I shut the lid it goes to sleep and when opening the lid again I see the logon screen for half a second and then it instantly powers off.

I have bootcamp installed and this happens on both windows and mac. I have done some looking around and I reset the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964) but no luck. I also recently received an update from Apple that was a Firmware update for the SMC. It seemed to install ok but nothing changed.

I am starting the think that my motherboard is having an issue but I wanted to check if anyone else if having this issues and possible has a fix.

By the way, once it is up and running (ie holding the power button so it turns on) everything works great with no issues what-so-ever.

Thanks
    tyelford

2. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

I am too have basically the same issue, except when i turn it on i will hear the apple chime and the white screen will come up. About 15 seconds later it will power off. The only way for the laptop to stay on is if im pressing a button the keyboard or touching the mouse. Once the laptop starts up if I don't press anything after a few seconds the power off menu will show. I'm guessing it has something to do with the power button. I have a 2010 mbp. Hope i didnt hijack the thread

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Hi. Try an SMC reset:

"Power
    The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
    A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
    The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
    The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
    The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity."

Search for SMC reset on Google and choose the first link for the Apple Support Communities. It will instruct you.

4. phillyphill, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Cant tell you how many times i've tried that and it never worked. But it worked somewhat this time thank you. But now my fans are running on high and it doesnt detect my charger. Im currently installing updates to the computer so i will wait to see if that fixes it when it starts. But either way thanks again, it was killing me that my 3 year old laptop that ive barely used, it still has like a 90% battery life wasn't working.

EDIT: had to do the reset a few more times and it took. Good to go now, thanks again.