Macbook Pro static

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nlacey, May 12, 2012.

1. nlacey macrumors newbie

Hello All

I am having a problem with my macbook pro. A few weeks ago it would make this static sound and freeze up. I would restart the computer and all seemed well. It would do this a few times a week. Today I go to boot the computer and it starts making that same static noise and doesn't make it past the grey screen. I recorded it and attached it below. Has anyone had this issue?

http://youtu.be/OoiHRMRYWZI

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

It sounds like the HDD has gone bad- does it sometimes show a folder with a question mark?

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Sounds very much like your hard drive is failing.

If you're not backed up, shut the machine down NOW and take it to a professional.

4. nlacey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to think hard and see if there is anything on it that I didn't have backed up. I don't think so. So all I need to do is buy a new hard drive and swap it out?

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Yes. Of course you'll have to reload your OS and software.

6. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

for sure a hard drive. that sound you are hearing are the heads rubbing on the disks.

7. nlacey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch...so even if I wanted to retrieve the info on that is on it...i'm probably SOL? Since the heads are scraping the disks?
    Any suggestions for a new drive....brand,model ??

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'd avoid seagate (IMO), I had a drive fail on me within 3 months. WD is what I am using now for backups, no problems. The Scorpio Blue model should be great for your mac. Its cheap too ;)

9. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

The risks of a drive going bad are with all of the brands. Just do your research and find one that will work best for you.

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I'll second both the recommendation for a new WD (I'd get the Black drive, they're not that much more), and the warning to stay away from Seagates.