MacBook Pro Still lags even after installing brand new SSD and cable

thmusic7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
So after three months without my MacBook Pro, I finally went and had a new SSD and HD Flex cable put in. It boots up but it still lags terribly. When I upgraded from Hacienda to Mojave it started lagging out of nowhere and even when I downgraded back to High Sierra it still lags.

After running a diagnostics with EtreCheck, major issues showed up that I didn’t have a time machine running which I immediately fixed. Another major issue was that it reported poor performance. That was all it said about that. The third issue was the system integrity protection was disabled. It’s weird because when I open terminal and type in csrutil status, It says that SIP is enabled. So then I boot in recovery mode and enable it. When I power it back up in regular mode the following picture below is what I get.

The final Major issue it listed was 32 bit apps the apps listed in system check are batChmod, dwell controller, DVD player, inkserver, and Scrivener.

I’m running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a mid 2012 “13” MacBook with 2.9 ghz intel core i7 processor. I have a brand new Samsung 860 Evo SSD installed and 16 gigs of RAM maxed out. I have no drivers on my computer except that which comes factory assembled if there are any In there. Please help me as best as you can. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

etresoft

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
csrutil status is what EtreCheck uses too.

EtreCheck does say more about your performance. Look in the “Performance” section. It show your hard drive read and write speed as well as the file system speed. The file system speed should be about 30 seconds. The read and write speeds should be within the range of your hardware. A 2012 MBP with an aftermarket SSD should show about 450 MB/s read/write and 30s filesystem. The final component of performance is the overall EtreCheck runtime, which should be about 3 minutes.

I’m not sure what Hacienda is. Is there a reason why the machine wasn’t used for 3 months? Perhaps whatever was wrong with it can’t be fixed with a new SSD.

thmusic7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
csrutil status is what EtreCheck uses too.

EtreCheck does say more about your performance. Look in the “Performance” section. It show your hard drive read and write speed as well as the file system speed. The file system speed should be about 30 seconds. The read and write speeds should be within the range of your hardware. A 2012 MBP with an aftermarket SSD should show about 450 MB/s read/write and 30s filesystem. The final component of performance is the overall EtreCheck runtime, which should be about 3 minutes.

I’m not sure what Hacienda is. Is there a reason why the machine wasn’t used for 3 months? Perhaps whatever was wrong with it can’t be fixed with a new SSD.
[doublepost=1553988653][/doublepost]Thanks eresoft for your reply. The information you just gave me is under system information right? Check on the software? I haven’t used it because I was getting acclimated to a new job which is very physically demanding. But now it’s raining and I need it for my other job. I was told that a poor battery, Another major issue I forgot to mention that etrecheck highlighted could be the reason for my sluggish speed. When I purchased a computer the seller forgot to mention that it came with an aftermarket battery. It only stayed charge for about an hour and a half without needing a charger.

etresoft

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
No. It is under the “Performance” section. I’m sorry to hear about the provenance of that machine. It is probably not repairable. Never buy a used Mac.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
[doublepost=1553988653][/doublepost]I was told that a poor battery, Another major issue I forgot to mention that etrecheck highlighted could be the reason for my sluggish speed. When I purchased a computer the seller forgot to mention that it came with an aftermarket battery. It only stayed charge for about an hour and a half without needing a charger.
Yes, for full performance the Mac needs to draw on the battery, if your battery is poor then it only has the charger to draw from and it will throttle the cpu accordingly, that is correct behaviour and you can't overcome it without fixing the battery issue.

Reactions: CoastalOR

thmusic7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
Update...
So I took my MacBook Pro to a repair shop called Experimac. The technician for the activity monitor and saw spike in my activity and thought it was unusual for the amount of apps that we had open. He tested it and sure enough I had done everything correctly that I had written about. It was something building with the motherboard. He never gave me a definitive answer as to what the issue was but the computer runs like new. So I have a brand new hard drive and the motherboard is in perfect condition.