Macbook Pro still sudden shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueSamurai, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BlueSamurai macrumors newbie

My CD MBP is becoming a pita. The saddest part is, i didnt buy APP for it.. and now i am regretting.

my machine has a very bad fitting problem ever since it came back from the service center. Apparently the top case doesnt line up properly with the bottom case but the service center said its the best they can do. They told me Apple said its normal to have gaps in between the bottom and top case.

So after 1 year.. it was getting worse as i noticed more and bigger gaps. so i called up Apple and despite the fact that i had no warranty, they agreed to pay for whatever is required to resolve this issue.

I should note @ this point that my machine has already been on the receiving end of another stick of 1gb ram weeks ago, and have had no problems whatsoever.

So in my mbp went and when i collected it, i noticed it had a new top and bottom case. Voila. But i went back home and realised it kept powering down by itself, like i had force shut it down. Not only was it irritating, it was extremely unreliable and i am sure to a certain extent, it was slowly damaging the hardware as well.

So i took it back, where after subsequent diagnoses by the techies, said that it was the result of a faulty battery. I told them i had no problems whatsoever before i brought my mbp in.. but they said they were very sure it was a faulty battery. What timing right? Well they gave me a new one free of charge, because i was under the battery exchange program. Funny thing is, i had already had my battery changed once, 7 months into my 1st year of owning the mbp.

So it looked ok the 2nd time i brought it back home.. but now its still developing sudden shutdowns. I really dont know what to do now. its not OS based as it happens both in Xp & OSX. It happens whether the power is plugged in or not.

Can it be the ram? But i swear it has not been giving me any problems before.

Any ideas?

2. iGav macrumors G3

Sounds like the recurrent battery problem that afflicts many of the early MacBook Pro's (mine included).

Go to Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info>Power.

What information does it provide under 'Battery Information'?

Post a screen shot to help us. :)

3. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

I have a similar issue with my MBP Core Duo, but it only happens on battery power. Connecting it to AC power does not duplicate the issue. I'm on my second battery, BTW.

I guess I'll have to call Apple and get another battery from them in the next day or two.

4. BlueSamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, it was perfectly okay before i brought it to the service center... so i really dun believe its the battery. Now even though they gave me a new one.. its still bugging me. But still anything is possible. How can i post a screenshot?

ok i figured it out.

[​IMG]

I know its abit off but i'll try to get a clearer version up.

5. BlueSamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright i have an update... i have 2gb of ram.. which makes up of 2 x 1gb. The piece that came wif my mbp is Nanya(where the heck is it frm??) and the one i bought from the local IT store is Kingston. I took the Kingston piece out, and it hasnt auto shut itself ever since. Funny. If its really the ram that causing my auto shutdowns, How come it only happens now? It should have started long before?

6. iGav macrumors G3

Well, your battery capacity looks perfectly fine... so I'm actually doubting it's the battery :confused: Especially considering that the problem occurs when it's plugged in too.

Just out of interest, have you removed the battery and run solely on AC? This is probably the quickest way of determining whether it's a battery issue or not, if it just randomly shuts down without the battery, then it cannot really be the battery. ;)

Hmmmm... that the problem is manifesting in both OS X and XP almost certainly rules out a software problem so it's almost certainly a hardware one.

Have you noticed any particular pattern when the problem occurs?

Though to be honest... I'm a little stumped.

Have you tried posting your problem on Apple's Discussions pages?

Just press Cmd-Shift-4 and highlight the area of the screen you want to take a screenshot of. ;)

Now, that sounds like dodgy RAM, run the MBP on each stick individually to compare performance.

I'd also suggest that you run the Hardware Test from your install DVD to see if it detects any problems with your memory.

But if the problem only occurs with the Kingston memory, you need to take it back to where you purchased it, almost all RAM comes with a lifetime warranty so you really shouldn't have any issues in having it replaced.

Sometimes parts just... fail. Hopefully though, it is just a RAM issue and you can have the suspect piece replaced under warranty.

7. BlueSamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Its a new battery that they gave me :eek:

No but thanks for the idea! i think i will stick back that kingston ram and try that later.

Unfortunately, no. Its really rather rather random... But previously the 1st time i brought it back from the service center, i noticed under iStats, "Heatsink B" will go up to 128 Deg celcius while the rest of the readings (Cpu and gfx and other headsinks will jux fluctuate btwn 30 odd to 60 odd deg. celcius) before shutting down itself. The 2nd time i brought it in, they replaced my battery and then it seemed ok. All temps appeared normal but then the shutdowns manifested again soonafter. But of course now with dear Mr. Kingston out, it seems to be trugging along happily...

No i did not. Maybe i should huh..

Thanks for the tip! i am a greenhorn to osx short keys.. i thought print screen was something only windows can do! Wow I can highlight as well? Sweet!

Tell me about dodgy ram. I got mine for SGD$58. Thats dirt cheap. How should i gauge performance with individual ram?

Is the hardware test any good?

Thing is.. i threw away the receipt. bad luck. I seriously do hope its just the ram. But quite honestly... what a time to fail.

I am goint to run the tests as you suggest iGav. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I will post back with reports later on. :eek:

The Blue Samurai is eternally grateful.

8. iGav macrumors G3

Might be worth it if it continues to crash without the Kingston RAM and no battery. Someone there might have experienced similar issues and may well be able to point you in the direction of a solution.

But from what you've described, it's almost certainly the RAM that's causing your problems.

Cmd-Shift-3 takes the whole screen (screens if you have an external display attached). ;)

Well it's Kingston, so you should've been alright, just bad luck by the sounds of it.

I just meant performance as in whether you could establish for definite that one of the sticks is causing the problem, and not the other. As opposed to one being quicker than the other for example. ;)

So, so. If there's a glaring issue with the memory it should pick it up. Of course with the problems you're experiencing it might well just shut down before the memory can be tested at all. :p

Did you pay by a debit/credit card? As then there will be a record of the transaction and in such cases this will usually suffice as proof-of-purchase.

If the place you purchased the memory from is unwilling to help, you should get in contact with Kingston themselves, they should be able to help you.

A pleasure.

G

9. BlueSamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

No i paid by cash. :(

Anyway i just ran the Apple Hardware Test. Version 3A107. With just the original stick of ram and with the Kingston together. No problems so AHT claims. What gives? Btw i ran it just off the battery. Didnt connect the power brick...

10. iGav macrumors G3

Well, it still might be worth taking it back... they might be willing to help, and there's no harm in asking... tis Christmas after all. ;)

You can always contact Kingston direct and see if they're willing to help.

It's probably an intermittent problem with the RAM. If you machine operates normally for a period and then dies, that would be indicative of an intermittent fault, because obviously it wouldn't work at all if the memory had failed completely, that Hardware Test hasn't found any problems doesn't mean there isn't one especially if it is an intermittent one.

This is how I'd approach it now.

• Fully charge the battery
    • Remove the good stick of RAM.
    • Use your Mac on battery power with only the Kingston memory installed.
    • Wait to see if it dies.
    • If it does, power up again and to see if it occurs again and confirms the problem.

Then do the same, but only with the good stick installed.

You should be able to establish then if the Kingston memory is faulty or not. ;)