Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hey guys.

So after coming home from Germany on a 3 day trip, I left for Malta with my family. The first day there, we have a break-in around 9pm at our bungalow, and few items missing (mainly my macbook pro, my X10i and my dads camera).

Now my question is, since I don't have Undercover installed, is there anyway to find it, or should I simply report it to the insurance company?

The laptop was shutdown and it has password active, as well as the 'encrypted files' thing. None of the items on the computer can be used for anything, and I have backups for everything, so I don't really care, just curious!

Also, since my Sony Ericsson X10i was stolen as well, is there anyway to locate it using the IMEI number or something?

Kind regards,
Pavia

(For those curious, it was an MacBook Pro i7 2.66 early 2010 in perfect condition, :/)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm assuming you reported it to the police already, so if you did that there is nothing more you can do besides trying to get your insurance company to pay for a new one.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks for all the replies!

I did report it, and I have the police report ready for the insurance company. However as this was my first laptop and I didn't use it much for the actual mobility, I think I'm going to get me an iMac 27" instead.

Much appreciated guys!

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Cops will never find it since they have other things to worry about. Best thing to do is file police report, notify insurance company, and hope you get some sort of reimbursement. But I wouldn't have hope of recovery. Just keep in mind Karma's a beeyatch and these lowlifes will get what's coming to them in time.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Sorry to hear about the theft. I would certainly lean toward an iMac and then an iPad for minimal travel use. Did you attempt to hide the items in the room, so it would take time and effort for a thief to find? Are you staying at a resort or a less secure time share? A resort or hotel should have some type of video camera system that would be handy in times like these.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Sorry to hear about the theft. I would certainly lean toward an iMac and then an iPad for minimal travel use. Did you attempt to hide the items in the room, so it would take time and effort for a thief to find? Are you staying at a resort or a less secure time share? A resort or hotel should have some type of video camera system that would be handy in times like these.

This happend last saturday^ I just got home today. It did happen at resort, with about 150 bungalows total, so it's quite depressing. However, on wednesday another bungalow was broken into as well, I don't know much about it though. There were no video cameras near. My parents filed the report with the insurance company so now all I can do is wait, and hog my brothers computer :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.