MacBook Pro Stolen! Which Replacement Combo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jay42, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Unfortunately, I just had my 2009 15" MacBook Pro stolen while I was in the city. I'm hoping to get close to the $2000 back I paid for it from homeowners insurance. While I did love that computer, the most taxing thing I did was some Lightroom / Photoshop stuff on occasion. On the other hand, I used to drag my 15" everywhere I went, so something more portable might make more sense for web, email, etc.

I would like some recommendations on which of the options, or suggest a new option. Budget around $2000 or under - maybe slightly above if necessary.

A: New 15" MacBook Pro - $1799

B: New 13" MacBook Air ultimate + SuperDrive - $1880

C: New 21" iMac - $1200 + iPad 2 32GB - $600

D: New 21" iMac - $1200 + New MacBook Air 11" base model - $1000 (maybe wait for new model MBA?)

E: Refurb 15" MacBook Pro + iPad 2 16GB - $2000?

F: Some other option? Open to refurb / slightly used

I also might be eligible for education pricing but I need to double check on that.

Let me know what you think or what's been working for you. Feeling a little overwhelmed because I did not plan on buying anything for another year or 2.

Let me know what you think or what works well for you

2. Bonilla macrumors member

Bonilla

If I were you, I will go definitely for iMac + Macbook Air or Pro.
    If you need a lot of space in your hard disk choose MBP if not choose MBA.

I have MBP and i am very glad.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're looking at the MBA, I'd do a 13" and a separate monitor. That way you'd have good screen space at home, but be light on the go.

4. intwo macrumors newbie

If you use Lightroom and Photoshop at home, then I think the refurbished MacBook Pro and iPad would be ideal. Then you can leave your MacBook Pro at home and bring the iPad everywhere to check emails and surf the web.

5. SPBMacintosh macrumors newbie

I'd go imac and ipad [​IMG] or get a really nice macbook air, but dunno how that will really cope under lightroom, especially with the small screen, so you'd probably need to buy an external monitor along with the mba

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

Considering you loved the MacBook Pro and you essentially get to have it replaced to the latest model, why not get it again? The 27" iMac is the best computer I've ever used personally but you did say you dragged your MacBook Pro with you everywhere so that might be the best choice.

More importantly, how did your MacBook Pro get stolen?

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian