Macbook Pro Storage Swap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JuustB, Jun 1, 2015.

1. JuustB macrumors newbie

Hi

My mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro suffered from water damage recently. I've been to a few repair shops and they all refer me back to the licensed Apple dealer in town, because the motherboard is damaged too badly it needs to be replaced completely. The estimated repair cost would be around €800.

I'm thinking about buying a refurbished one instead, which would allow me to buy an older 15" model with almost the same specs.

Now I'm no expert on computers, so if I would buy perhaps a mid 2010 15" with 320gb of storage space, would it be possible afterwards to let someone swap out the 500gb from my damaged MBP into the refurbished one so I got my data back and a bigger drive? (The storage drive didn't suffer any damage according to the reports I've got.)

Thanks in advance!

2. gordian macrumors member

Yes, it is possible because both models use 2.5" drives and they're essentially interchangeable. ifixit.com has some good guides though so you may find it more cost and time effective to perform the replacement yourself. If you don't remove the battery during the replacement then the only tool you should need is a small Phillips head screwdriver.

3. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie