MacBook Pro storage. T

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harpleberry, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Harpleberry macrumors newbie

Harpleberry

Hi, I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro and partition it with Windows 10 for development work. I'll need visual studio 2015 and sql server 2012, I'm planning on getting iCloud storage but would still like around 20GB free on the laptop. Would this be possible with the 128gb SSD (if so how much would I have to partition) or would I have to upgrade to 256? Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you'll be better off with 256GB - 128 will be just too small, especially if you'll be loading windows on there, either via bootcamp or parallels.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Depends on what you have installed on both partitions, it's doable, but it could get a little tight.

4. Harpleberry thread starter macrumors newbie

Harpleberry

Thanks, could you provide rough figures of how much I would have to partition and how much the apple OS takes up and how much would be spare? Thank you.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You tell me, I have no clue what you'd be installing on either apart from Visual Studio and SQL server.

You can guesstimate a good 20GB for each OS in itself. I'll let you do the math for the rest. It's 100% dependent on what else you'll install.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

As a warning:
    I've tried this with several macs and it is not always possible to install windows.

7. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

10GB minimum for an Windows 10 partition via Boot Camp
    4GB(Community Version) or 10GB(Enterprise/Professional) for Visual Studio

doable as snaky69 mentioned, but why not get the 256gb? they are cheap with many daily sales/specials/discounts...

8. Harpleberry thread starter macrumors newbie

Harpleberry

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably just go for the 256 version. Appreciate the help.