Macbook Pro - Store or Online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prmccarron, Feb 27, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Hi, I'm getting a Macbook Pro (as soon as I have enough money; probably another year) and was wondering: should I buy it at the online store or at an Apple retail store? The reason I was thinking online was because you only have to pay it over like a 12 or 24 month period, but idk. I guess my main question is: how long does it take to get from the online store to a house on the opposite side of the country (assuming they send it from their headquarters at California)?

2. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

All online-orders gett shipped from Shanghai/China. The build when ordered from applestore online.

Don't think they have a "middlestorage" for the basic configuration in the US or any other place in the world for faster delivery. If you buy the basic configuration you normally have it after 2-3 days

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple headquarters in California isn't their warehouse :p

I think Apple has several warehouses in USA but most orders, especially when new models have been released, are shipped from China. It shouldn't take more than few days if Apple has it in stock.

Wait till you have the money to buy it and then buy it, don't buy it on credit or monthly payments, that's my opinion. That's where the economical depression started from, people lived on credit and payed everything in monthly payments

Only BTOs are built when ordered. Basic models are usually in stock if they have "ships in 24 hours" tag.

4. mvalia macrumors newbie

When the update comes out, I'm buying mine in the store. It's nice to not have to worry about it getting knocked around during the shipping process or having to be home to sign for it.

Here's a MBP shipped to NJ:

[​IMG]

Remember, you don't have to buy Apple Care right away. Shop around for discounts during the first year you have the laptop. I am sure you could get the same financing in store as well.

Attached Files:

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'd buy from a reseller. You won't get CTO, but the machines are usually cheaper.

A 13.3 MBP from B&H Photo, for example, is $50 cheaper than from Apple, they include Parallels, shipping is free, and they don't charge sales tax unless you live in New York.

6. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

If you want a BTO, well you won't have a choice but to have it shipped. The downside with shipping is the condition of the box as it looks like it went through a war and you wonder if your Mac is ok. I assume the packaging protects it. For a standard config, many choices ... if you qualify for an education discount I'd say go to an Apple Store and get it right then and there. If a reseller has a discount it's typically about the same in value as the education discount. At the Apple store your Mac comes to in a nice clean box. Apple must ship to the stores huge boxes containing multiple Macs inside.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Lets not forget refurbs. Lowest prices of all. Although I admit I've bought refurbs, with BTO option online, and in the Apple Store. With an Apple store less than a 10 minute walk from where I work, and with no tax considerations, I would never consider a retailer.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Apple charges sales tax for everything they sell.

As to refurbs, I just bought a new Mac Pro Octo for less than the same machine was for sale from Apple as a refurb. Unless I were going to order a BTO, I'd never consider buying a computer from Apple, online or retail store, considering the 6.5% premium I'd have to pay at point of sale, not to mention the usual higher price. No downside to going the reseller route that I've ever seen.

9. Izzybeff macrumors member

I bought mine online as the closest Apple store is a few hours away. I ordered on a Tuesday, it was shipped from China on Friday morning with Fedex, I had it by 10:30 monday morning. The case I ordered on the same day, shipped on Wednesday and I didn't receive it till the following Wednesday, that came by USPS.. :p

So it didn't take long at all.

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Out of all the advice... Listen to this one! Very wise. That's what I did. Kicked it up a notch and bought referb. Saved a pile of money.

11. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if your buying CTO buy online if not buy in a store. The experience you get just walking out with your new toy can't be matched by saving $50 or so from an online reseller. I bought my iMac online and I wish I had been able to carry it out of the store.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

No sales tax for him, he is in Oregon.

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yup. I take it back.

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd probably buy it in store. It's a lot easier...you get to experience it right away :D
    ahhhh i love opening new things xD hahah

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Store. I seldom buy Apple stuff online, unless I'm really busy.

16. mac-matt macrumors member

refurb. or wait till the updates come out if you have the patience. whether you want the update or not once its out the refurb price on the current ones will be significantly less than they are now