Macbook Pro - strange sounds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funnyimac, Aug 21, 2010.

1. funnyimac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 15" and I started noticing a few strange sounds. I've dropped the computer in a bag case which is very protective on the carpet slightly, but I don't think that affected anything.

1) At started, there is an around 4 second sound. I was told that is the hard drive and it is normal, so is that true?

2) Sometimes when I turn the computer, like tilt it to the right or left... It makes a sound that I can't really describe. It is kind of a lamp sound... "ding". I hope you can imagine it. My old Macbook didn't do that, so is this normal?? And what is it?

Thanks.

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

What is the sound? If it's a deep chime just before the white screen with the grey Apple logo, then it's supposed to do that. It's to tell you that the computer's detected everything that is necessary for startup.

Yes, this is a safety feature - it protects the hard drive's read/write head from touching the platters, and therefore stops the drive from getting damaged. I think this is a fairly new feature then if it didn't do that on your older Mac. This is normal.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. This is your Mac initializing your drives. When it does this, it checks your optical drive (DVD drive) for any discs, making whirring noises for a moment to do so.

2. This is the accelerometer parking the head of the hard drive to prevent destroying the data on the disk in the case of a bump or fall.

Imagine your hard drive is a turntable. The last thing you want is for something to knock the needle across your Rush - Moving Pictures album, gouging a line across the surface and making it impossible to play without taping two 50-cent pieces to the head.

Also, I remember dropping my old Pentium III notebook on my bed back in 2003. It had no such sensor and when the head clanked and screwed the drive, my computer froze and needed a restart. This is avoided with the Sudden Motion Sensor in all Apple portables.

Steve Perry should have married Sherrie just for the lulz.