MacBook Pro stuck at Apple logo (no CD boot either)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2contagious, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi,

I have a major problem with my first Generation MacBook Pro. It won't boot anymore: it just turns on and gets stuck at the Apple logo. There is no spinning wheel and nothing else happens. Pressing 'C' for booting from CD or pressing ALT and choosing the CD as an alternative boot source does not work either: it just does exactly the same, gets stuck at the apple logo. I already tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, as well as the SMC. This also did not change anything. CMD+V mode starts up then stops at the line "ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)"

What can I do? I really need to save my Mac, there is some really important stuff on there :(

2. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

please help me :( no ideas at all?
    sorry for the double post, but I really need to fix this quick. I have to hand in something at uni in 2 days :(

3. Planky macrumors regular

Sorry can't help with the MacBook Pro but if it is urgent you could remove the HD and put it in an external case to get access to the data you need.

Or if you have access to another Mac with firewire you could restart your MacBook Pro with "T" pressed to get into target firewire mode and plug the firewire into the other Mac and get access to your data.

Good Luck.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

do a SMC Reset,

boot off a tech tool disc if you have one,

some times the harddrive being bad can cause the cd's to not boot, other strange things too.

you can usually listen to a hdd and tell if its bad, you will hear a rythmic ticking when it tries to read corrupted clusters.

5. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

target disc mode works, so I am able to save my data, but the rest doesn't. I already tried an SMC reset and a few other things (see first post). any idea on how to make my mbp boot again? :(

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

7. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I had a problem just like that, but on my Mac Pro. It stayed on the Apple logo and wouldn't load the OS. The problem on mine was the hard drive. It was fryed. If that's what your MBP has, then the good news is, it's not that expensive to replace - plus, you will probably buy a much larger hard drive, as I did. But I hope you have back ups of all your data. If you do end up replacing the HD, you will have to install Mac OSX.

8. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi, thanks for your responses :) It's definitely not the hard drive, as I am currenly transferring my data from the hard drive to an external one via the target disc mode. The logic board being fried would make sense in some way, as a lot of first generation MBPs had issues with whining noises that came from either a faulty display inverter or a faulty logic board. Mine was one of those MBPs: I sent mine into Apple for repair before the warranty ran out (that was about 3 years ago or so), I got it back with a new logic board installed, one that would supposedly fix the whining noise- well.. it didn't. so I am guessing that they replaced my faulty logic board with another faulty one back then :/

on the other hand, the current problem might not have anything to do with the logic board. anyone got an idea of what else it might be?

chris.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My dad had the same issue with his not even 1 year old iMac. It seemed as if his OS was corrupted or something. I couldn't boot using the C key, and had to plug the computer into mine via FW and Target disk mode, and reinstall the OS on his computer using mine via FW.

Not sure why it happened ..

10. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I wonder if you could call applecare and say that the issue wasn't fixed after the repair... making it an ongoing issue from when it was covered under warranty. If you play your cards right, they might just fix it again.

11. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I tried verifiying and repairing the partitions on my hard drive. there were some filesystem errors on my boot partition, which were repaired by the disk utility via target disc mode on a second mac. repairing the partition did not help, it still does not boot. since booting from CD does not work, it can't be a hard drive issue anyway (I guess?) but I'll give your method a try, thanks :)

I have saved all of my data.. now I "only" need to find a way to get my MBP up and running until the new Mac Pro's come out :p

About Applecare: I doubt they will do anything for free, my warranty ran out 3 years ago :/
    -chris.

12. enfortel macrumors newbie

HI, I'm brazilian, and "hardware Technical" (I fix PC's) so sorry my english..

well.. I was with same problem, I try for weeks fix the problem with no results, whem I giveUp I try dissemble the MPB, after each "peace" removed I try turn on the mac, when I removed WIFI card, the Mac turn On normally, no mother board damage, logic board, HD nothing, just the wifi..

to dissemble MBP you will need
    tools
    Torx 6
    Phillips 00 - 1
    minimal knowledg hardware
    and remeber position the screw ;)

I hope This Help someone..

13. macidunn macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem, but my mac is a white macbook from 2006..I¨m stuck on the apple logo. And here´s the thing. when I try to safe boot I get to the black screen with text and numbers, but I´m not able to write the code. My keyboard wont react after safe booting. and I tryed the repair code and doing that Pram thing. Nothing works... any suggestions? I´m simply stuck..

14. yuku macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have the same problem! When I remove WiFi card everything works fine.

Have you tested with a new airport card? :confused: