Macbook Pro stuck at Apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hcotto, Sep 13, 2010.

1. hcotto macrumors newbie

Ok 2 nights ago i did a system update. there was supposed to be 7 updates installed. At the end of the installation the computer said there was an error, and ever since i have not been able to boot into the Mac side of my computer.

It gets stuck at the grey Apple screen and the little circle spins at the bottom forever.

I can however load up into the Windows XP side (which i am currently on) and i can see all my files and documents from the Mac side just fine, if i browse through the hard drive at My Computer.

I recently moved to FL and of course i wasnt thinking so i left my 2 install CDs that came with the computer in another state.

Yesterday i downloaded a version of Snow Leaopord, and it currently sits on my Win XP side. It is a 7GB file though and my DVDs only hold 4GB so i can not burn it, to the install a fresh copy on the Mac side.

Anyways, i am hoping i can somehow fix the problem. I am hoping to fix the issue without having to reinstall the OS and lose all my files and information. I jsut recently moved to MACs from PCs (2 months ago) and in the process transferred all my files from my PCs to my new MAC without (of course like an idiot) backing up to an external HD.

Any help would be appreciated. Ive tried booting in verbose mode, by holding down command-v but once on the black screen a bunch of stuff comes up and i get completely lost.

I have a late 2009 Macbook Pro 13", 2GB RAM 160gb HD.

thanks

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ive had problems where some USB accessories prevent OSx from booting...try booting without anything plugged in if you do have stuff plugged in.

3. hcotto thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried it but no luck! any other suggestions?

thanks

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Try getting an 8gb flash drive. Clone the version of OS X that you have to the flash drive and boot off of it. That is what I have done in the past, and it has worked. Then, reinstall OS X from the flash drive. Run all necessary updates, and you will be on your way.

5. Covart Guest

Don't suppose you thought about using double layer DVD's? I believe the 2009 MBP can read DVD-DL? They hold 8.5GB in case you weren't aware of them. This would allow you to load OSX.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go buy Snow Leopard (it's only $30). What a novel idea!

7. hcotto thread starter macrumors newbie

im not gonna buy it when i already have a copy. i just left it in another state and dont feel like having someone ship me it.

Also i realize they make double layer DVDs and that my system can burn to them, i just dont have any at the time and i was trying to see if i could fix this problem without having to spend any money.

But i guess i will just reinstall the OS. guess ill just have to suck it up and deal with the fact that all my files will be lost, but i guess itll at least teach me to back up my files sooner.

thanks for the help.

8. pt0016 macrumors regular

pt0016

Not lost, you can still back it up from the Windows side. Can't you just do an archive and install? That will usually take most OS/booting issues away.

9. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

When I couldn't find my copy of snow leopard i extracted an image I had saved to my external hard drive and restored it to a USB passport drive. I then held "Option" key while booting and booted off the USB drive.

It actually installed faster than it would have off the DVD.

Once in the setup assistant you can run some different things from the utilities menu, maybe try "repair disk permissions".

10. hcotto thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so i got my original install CD and here is what i have done.

rebooted computer... hold down OPTION KEY

i get an option to load from MAC partition, BOOTCAMP (Windows XP), or MAC OSX INTALL CD

SO i went into the install CD. I was given the option to use disk utility to fix any errors on the drive, but it didnt seem to do anything..

while in the install CD i was able to search through my folders and files, and everything was still there, but after "repairing" the disk, nothing changed. i still can not boot into the MAC partition on the computer, only the windows XP side which i am currently on.

can anyone offer advice on what to do through the install CD the doesnt require me erasing all my information. Its clearly all there, but for some reason i just cant boot into it.

thanks

11. hcotto thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Ok so i just gave up and reinstalled the OS system...

plugged in the Installation disc 1 and went ahead and installed it on the Macintosh HD parition..

i thought it would erase over my previous stuff, but it did not. I am now finally able to boot into the mac side and all my files are still here. Not sure how this happened but i am happy.

I am now afraid to do the updates in the future. is there a way to cut them off, so i dont risk this happening again?

I know in windows you can cut automatic updates off, hopefully i can here as well.

So my problem is solved... not sure if this will solve anyones in the future, but hopefully it does.

The installation took about 50mins but all files are here and im happy.

yhanks for the help

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that you got it back to booting.

I don't if this is different under Snow Leopard or not, but go to System Preferences/Software Update and you should have a couple of options there that may do what you want.

I've been using OS X from 10.2.x (don't recall what the point version was) up to my current 10.4.11 and what I always do is do only 1 update at a time and Repair Permissions before and after doing each update. Also, if I haven't checked the disk in while I do that also. I also make sure I have a complete bootable clone before doing an update, especially an OS update, just in case. Call all that overkill if you like, but I've never had a problem with an update going south.