MacBook Pro stuck at Apple Logo :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnoob007, Sep 5, 2014.

1. macnoob007 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, , I know this topic has been discussed over and over again. But I just wanna confirm a few things.

So my macbook was not functioning properly and I reboot it. Then it stucked at the apple logo and the spinning sign and after a while the slash sign.

I cant enter from safemood, can only access the disk utility, cant use the single user command thing because I cant type anything. And the worst part is I am traveling for a long time so I didnt backup for quite some time already.

I guess its the hard disk failing. Do I need to buy a new one? and reinstall OS X? And does it mean all my partitions will be gone?

And to backup, the only way is to take it out and use it as an external HDD?

Thanks everyone. Would love to read some comments on how to solve this thing. :/

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You might not be in the trouble you're in, if you had carried a bootable backup along with you. I know this doesn't help now, but go forth from this day and learn.

It would help if you tell us what year the MBPro is, what model, etc.

Without any way to boot, perhaps your best bet would be to go to an Apple Store if there is one within traveling distance, and see if there's anything they could do for you.

If they get it going again, I suggest you also walk out with a USB3 2.5" portable drive.

Download CarbonCopyCloner and create a bootable backup of the internal drive.

Then you'll always have a "second boot source" to get you going in an "I can't boot" episode, like you're having now...

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that does sound like a bard drive and you will need a new one. Much less likely, but bad drive cable can also cause this.

If the drive is bad, you can try putting it in an external enclosure to recover some data if the drive can be read from. But yes, if the drive is really dead everything on it will be gone. You could try tools like Disk Warrior if the drive can be seen from the Mac.

Tell us what year model Mac you have as that will determine how to reinstall the OS.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Could be the drive, could be the cable.

What year and size of MBP is it?