MacBook Pro stuck in Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2l8vsan, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 2l8vsan macrumors newbie

I currently have installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro.
    Actually updated everything (drivers, settings, etc).
    Went to test if it would go into Sleep mode, and it did.
    Problem is it won't come out of Sleep mode.

If I push the power button, you can hear the hard drive loading/working, so I don't think the hard disk is an issue. The button used to open to laptop just stays white (indicating sleep mode). It doesn't flash slowly when the device is in sleep.

I've tried hooking up an external monitor, so I don't think the monitor has gone on it yet. Tried removing battery and using only power cable with only AC power. It won't exit Sleep Mode.

I don't think I'm even able to reset NVRAM or PROM (whichever it's called), using the hotkeys. Even after draining the battery and using the power cord, the laptop won't reboot. Still stuck in sleep mode.

Any ideas on how to tackle this issue? The laptop literally was working BEFORE I clicked 'Sleep'. I haven't been able to figure anything out so I'm hoping I'll get some insight :D

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Did you try holding down the power button to make sure it actually turns off fully? Then you can reset PRAM/SMC if required or just try to do a normal boot.

3. 2l8vsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have done this. It's so weird. The laptop will turn off. Then you press the power button, you hear the CD/DVD drive working, then you hear the hard disk spinning/working, but still nothing on the screen, and the sleep button indicator just shows a steady white.

I reset the SMC and nothing changed.
    I can't even try to reset the NVRAM because the machine won't even perform a restart even if power to the device is disconnected. It realllly doesn't wanna wake up aka not leave sleep mode.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

No startup chime either?
    Not sure what to suggest :confused:

5. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Sleep mode is when the little white light pulses slowly as though the computer was breathing. What you have sounds like a dead graphics chip/ logic board fault if you get nothing on an ext. screen

6. 2l8vsan thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh. Yeah, no chime no sound because it isn't rebooting.
    How would you fix a logic chip board fault?

That's pretty amazing if it is the onboard video card that it just went like that. It was working fine before sleep mode.

7. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

A new logic board would fix it. Might cost more than your computer is worth., or you can get it reballed, which costs less.

My mum said a similar thing when her graphics chip died, "it was working a minute ago...." :)

8. 2l8vsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hoping it wasn't coming to this. I've had it since 2008 so it has served its purpose. I guess it just gave out after being used for almost 6 years.
    I did some looking online, and it's probably not worth repairing/refurbishing.
    I'd need a logic repair kit I believe. Ouch.

9. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

time to sell it as it is then. As a whole it is worth selling, just look at the prices of 'dead' macbooks on ebay, etc