MacBook Pro Stuck on Apple Logo with Spinning Wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. bmy macrumors newbie

Recently i tried to update to a newer vwersion of itunes from the appstore(an update that requires a restart), i left the room and then when i came back, the display was asleep and the sleep indicator was on but i couldnt do anything to wake the computer. Finally i gave up and had to force shut down the macbook by pressing control, option, command and the power button at the same time.
    When i tried to turn the computeer on it got stuck on the spinning wheel and didnt change its state. I forced shut down again and looked on the internet for solutions. In the end i did all of the following things:
    1) I opened recovery tool from pressing option while turning on the computer and tried- verifing and repairing hard disk with disk utility and i redownloaded and installed os x.
    2) i booted in safe mode by pressing shift while booting and i tried the following- reupdate all of available updates in the appstore(one of them required a restart) but after it finished downloading and it asked me to restart i press restart and then the appstore stops responding, redownloading and installing os x from the appstore, deleting all the content of my downloads folder and recently installed 3rd party applications and i checked for viruses using "Iantivirus" from the appstore wich came up with no viruses.
    3) I entered disk utility again and tried to verify and repair permissions.
    I dont know what else to try and relly appreciate your help.
    P.S: i am running os x mountain lion 10.8.2 on a 15" mid 2012 macbook pro
    P.S.S: every time i try to shut down the macbook when in safemode finder will stop responding and the only to turn it off is to force shut down

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

1. Reset SMC. Instructions: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 If you still have the problem, then ...
    2. Reset PRAM. Instructions: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH4405 If you still have the problem, then ...
    3. Run Apple Hardware Test (extended). Leave it to finish overnight. Instructions: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509 If this finds a problem, take it to an Apple Store to get it looked at, telling them what the AHT results were. If it doesn't find a problem, I'd still take it to an Apple Store and get it examined, and tell them what you've done to troubleshoot.

3. bmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for your help
    I forgot to write that I already tried to reset the pram. After your reply I also tried to reset the smc but either I wasn't able to reset(possibly I didn't do something right) because there was no indication of any reset whatsoever or the reset just didn't help.
    Right now I am performing an apple hardware test and hope for helpful results
    Also I live in Israel where there is no apple store so what else can I do( there is an apple like store called"idigital" but I'm not sure if they can help me

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I had similar symptoms less than 24 hours before my HDD started failing. Certainly my laptop was much older than yours when that happened, but HDD failure can happen at any time. Just make sure that you're backed up.

___

5. bmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    In the end though I tried clean installing OS X from a USB flash drive and that solved my problem