Macbook pro sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genexrocket, Oct 18, 2008.

1. genexrocket macrumors regular

Well not really, but mine does, I just bought the unibody one yesterday, and went to install windows with Boot Camp, and bam, harddrive crash/failure...I called Applecare and made an appointment with the Genius bar for tomorrow. After switching to Mac for the very first time, this is what I get?? sigh... I really want to love it, but I'm scared that something like this might happen again, I'm contemplating whether I should just return it and get a different laptop...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Can you elaborate a little more on the hard drive problem that you encountered? Was it from a mechanical defect, did the machine kernel panic during the partitioning process, or did something go awry while installing Windows?

3. ptjh macrumors regular

Weak... You should get a job in the tabloid press2 with misleading headlines like that!

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

5. Aranince macrumors 65816

Windows crashed your Mac. Should be using OS X ;)

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

exactly!

7. genexrocket thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I was following the instructions for Boot Camp from the printout, and got to the part where it asks you which drive you would like to partition windows to, I didn't see the correct drive as it is shown in the Guide, so I thought I might have missed something back in OSX when choosing how much I want to partition to windows, so I canceled it from there. Then the mbp restarted and all I got was a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. Then I tried re-installing the OSX by inserting the CD, but when I get to the part where it asks you to choose the drive to install OSX to, nothing comes up. Also, erasing/reformatting the harddrive options are blocked out. So I called Apple Care and they told me the harddrive crashed since the computer is not listing the harddrive.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised you deleted your original post.

I know it's popular to bash Windows but please remember that OS X does have its share of quirks as well. It might just be a mechanical defect. I guess you had so much fun that you forgot to ask what happened. ;)

I'm impressed that you went as far as to try reinstalling OS X. That sounds like a corrupted disk or just a defective one.

9. genexrocket thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I was panicking, and tried everything I could, it's not even a day old and it's broken!!! :mad: I hope I can just swap it out for a new one, this one had a scratch out of the box on the case anyways.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is some bad luck for a new machine. I hope Apple just replaces it outright for you. I hope you don't lose any data either.

I wish you luck on your next hard drive or Mac.

11. songcunzhi macrumors member

songcunzhi

I am confused by what u did to your computer. But I have installed xp on mbp for a hundred times. Everything works just fine. Encountering a zillion times of traditional xp crash in mbp, I just choose vmware instead of bootcamp now. It works even better. Maybe u should try vmware when u get your computer fixed. It is a lot easier to install and use it, as long as u dont play games with it.

12. genexrocket thread starter macrumors regular

So Vmware is not good for games at all? I wanted to install XP mainly for games. Do you think that the Genius bar can actually install XP for me? I don't want to have anything go wrong again, also, would it matter if I just had the copy of XP on a CD-R and not the original disc?

13. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't see how OSX or the MBP made the HD crash. If the HD did crash, then it must have been a rare anomaly for a new hard drive to fail so quickly. Sure, Apple has it covered under warranty, but all HDs are made by third party manufacturers and they do fail sooner or later. Just usually not this soon... :rolleyes: Has nothing to do with Mac or OSX, because that exact same HD could have wound up in a PC laptop, depending on the supply channels for these things. Get it replaced, and start over.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Is it a legit copy of XP? Did you just burn a back-up copy of your original disk... if so, it should work using the original product key you got. I don't know for sure, but maybe MS might have to be informed that the first machine you installed it on no longer is using that copy before it'll activate. If it's a restore disk from another laptop, it probably won't work.

I think the geniuses will do the install for you... but it might cost you something.

15. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I wonder if you could just return it for a new one? A brand new hard drive failing is actually a good thing, as opposed to one failing a year from now.

Learned that lesson the hard way.

16. genexrocket thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so, this one had a scratch on the top casing out of the box, haha. What a wake-up call! My 5 year old Gateway laptop never had a problem like this, kinda wish I could just get the SSD. :D