MacBook Pro suddenly has achingly slow wifi connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cousin Dirk, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi

My late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro has suddenly and unaccountably started having wifi problems. Most of the time this represents itself as an incredibly slow download speed, but it is also asking for network passwords which it should know and has trouble actually connecting to the network.

My network consists of a 1st gen Time Capsule connected directly into a modem, broadcasting a 5GHz-only network. Plugged into the Time Capsule is a second router broadcasting an 802.11g network for iPhones etc.

I've tried connecting to the 'g' network, which makes no difference. My iPhone is able to get decent download speeds also connecting to the 'g' network. My wife's iPad connects to the 'n' network without issue. Thus, it appears to be a problem with the MacBook, not anything else.

I tried turning the AirPort off and then on again, which worked - once. I tried restating the Mac, which also only worked briefly (oh, and it didn't shut down properly; it hung on the blue swirly shutdown screen).

I've run a virus scan which hadn't found anything, which leaves me at a little bit of a loss as to what to try next.

I've googled the problem, and come up with a lot of posts about similar problems, but most of them seem to be new machines - my laptop has only developed this in the last day or so.

Any ideas what might be the problem here?

Cheers in advance!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

When it comes to networking issues, the first thing to try is to create a new location in the Networking System Preferences pane.

It's possible the password issue is related, as it may ask for the password any time it fails to join a network. In turn, this could mean the airport card in your machine is going bad.

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

My friends Airport started giving extremely slow Wi-Fi once, after some quick googling he changed the frequency from a manual one to automatic, this seemed to remedy the problem.

Also is the slowness confined to just your mac? Or are other devices experiencing the slow Internet speed.