MacBook Pro suddenly turns off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tombarnes, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've searched the web for answers, but can't find any posts with an identical problem. I have an early 2009 unibody MacBook Pro.

When using it running off the battery, it will suddenly turn off. This usually happens after a couple of minutes use. When it happens, there is a sort of physical 'click' noise.

Anyone got any ideas?

I discovered this problem a while back, but I've lived with it as I usually use it plugged in.

Also, I don't know if it is linked, but my charger is now dead. No life in it at all, so my MacBook is now unusable. I used my brother's charger from his perfectly healthy MacBook, which worked fine for an hour or two, until his charger failed and now his charger is dead. My computer seems to be frying chargers! Is this linked to my sudden power loss?

What a nightmare! Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery may be dead, especially if you always have it plugged in. Have Apple check it out. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. tombarnes thread starter macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the reply. I imagine you reckon the battery is the source of the sudden power cut off.

May I ask - what is your opinion on the chargers? Co-incidence, or could there be another underlying problem with the computer?

Tom

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The other possibility is the logic board, which will be expensive, if that's the case. The adapter, battery and logic board are the 3 primary power components.

5. tombarnes thread starter macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Thanks for the help here GGJstudios.

Just as an update for anyone reading this thread. I have sorted the problem with help from my local Apple authorised repairer.

In my case, it was a two pronged issue.

1) The battery was on it's way out. They did a power check, it was holding charge, but below 75%, so it was showing up as 'Sevice now' or similar in System Profiler.

2) My charger is faulty (which may not have been charging my battery correctly hence the computer cutting out when running from the battery). I was trying other mains cables with my charger, and noticed that it sparked (!) when I plugged it in! It was actually zapping the cables (bizarrely the fuses were fine).

So in summary, faulty charger and a knackered battery (which may have been caused by the charger).

Soooo happy the logic board is fine!

Tom

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm glad you got it fixed, and glad it wasn't the logic board!