Macbook Pro Summer 09 trackpad issues (Click & Drag)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiverX, Sep 2, 2009.

1. RiverX macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Recently i've been having problems with the click and drag feature on the trackpad. If i click on an icon and hold the click while trying to move the icon, it only moves it till a certain point and then it stops. The same occurs when i want to highlight text on a forum etc. Is any one else experiencing this? It began recently so i'm not entirely sure what to do to fix it. It does it both on my windows bootcamp partition and my mac partition

Thanks

2. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I am having similar issues, though, I am mostly unable to click and drag on the trackpad. It will rarely select the icon/text/window making my "drag" merely move the mouse cursor.

It is very frustrating and I do not remember it being this trouble some earlier with 10.5.

Anyone with a solution that does not involve an external mouse?

3. analytical44 macrumors regular

I was experiencing this exact problem until last Friday. I initially thought the trackpad screw needed to be tightened (per the advice of some posts I came across). I took it to Apple, they tightened the screw and adjusted some sensitivity settings. Worked for a little and then I started experiencing the same problem within 48 hours (maybe sooner).

Took it back to Apple, showed them the problem, and they agreed to replace the trackpad. Took about 4 days for the part to arrive and less than a day for them to install it (took it in Friday morning at 11:00 and it was done by 5:00 that evening). They wound up having to replace the entire base of the computer as well as the trackpad. Was pleasantly surprised as a friend put a scratch on the right side of the palm rest the second day I had it, now back to mint condition :D.

I now have no issue at all when using the trackpad click; the replacement completely solved the problem. Take it into the Apple store and have them replace it for you. For a temporary fix, press harder on the trackpad, it worked fine for me when I did this but I didn't want to have to do that all the time, nor did I want to risk cracking the trackpad.