Macbook Pro Super Drive problem with DVD-R

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stephen.howden, Jun 4, 2009.

1. stephen.howden macrumors newbie

I noticed recently on my MBP i couldnt access the content of any of the archive DVD's with backed up work from the past few years, started to think the DVD's haddnt written properly untill i discover i could access them on other computers. I didnt read too much into it until i tried to burn a dvd the other day, upon inserting a blank DVD-R it spun the DVD up for about 30 seconds before spitting it back out, same issue as with the Archive DVD's. Problem is my drive is working though, see details below:

Application DVD's - Work fine
    Games DVD's - Work fine
    DVD Movies - Work fine
    Audio CD's - Work fine
    Burnt CD ROMS - Work fine
    Blanks CD ROMS - Work fine
    Burnt DVD-R - FAULT - drive spins up for 30seconds then ejects
    Blank DVD-R - FAULT - drive spins up for 30seconds then ejects
    Burnt DVD+RW - existing content cant be viewed, but DVD can be used to burn, writing over existing content i assume.
    Blank DVD+R - Not tested

The drive burnt DVD's fine, but it has been a few months since i have needed to burn anything. . . .thats a few months and a few apple updates!
    I rang apple, to which i was surprised i got any assistance at all as my MBP has just come out of its warranty period. I explained about the specificness of the media it isnt working with, and also pointed out there are a lot of forums with people experiencing the same issue. The technician claims not to have heard of anything like this before, and went on to suggest the usual apple method of trying to fix things:
    "switch off, remove battery, hold power button for 10 seconds, replace batter try it now, then try repairing disc permissions"
    Thats the apple equivalent of 'Format C drive and reinstall windows!'

Anyway, after that didnt make a difference he suggested i had damaged it so i need to have the machine repaired, i was advised to take it into my nearest apple store and they can tell me the likely cost!

Has anybody had this same issue and resolved it without spending a few hundred quid on a new Super Drive? I just dont understand how it could be damaged when all other media types work fine, without any issue.

Stephen Howden
    15" Macbook Pro, 2.4ghz, 2gb, 256mb,

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Great, mine does this, I had to buy a external usb drive as it refuses to read most burnt DVD-Rs and some DVD films now, it's frustrating, glad to know when I send my in for my keyboard and trackpad dying as well as this, the consensus will be "you damaged it", how can you even damage it?! It's an internal part, it's like saying you got crayon on the hard drive...

3. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

is it a Matchita ....?:D

they do have some issues....

try to clean it up with a clean CD...

after the sleep is the sound of the wake up normal?

I had some issues but now everything is ok...

I think that the superdrives in the Macbook Pros are only for very occasional use...

but they must not left without use for a long time otherwise they become very buggy....

4. stephen.howden thread starter macrumors newbie

My drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N, I have seen this same name on many other forum sites as having the same trouble. I have seen one or two people suggest using a CD lense cleaner disc. . . have always been skeptical about these, incase they damage something. Can anyone who has used one successfully offer any advice on what to get?

5. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

blelieve it or not....guess what...

my sisters too ejects blanks dvds and dlayers...:D
    just tested!!!

ahahahah....this is getting really funny...

updates later...

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

7. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

I ve allready done that....:rolleyes:

well...i supose Apple superdrives are crap...

better replace the superdrive with a HDD...:p

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's more like the equivalent of running registry integrity-verifying software.

Anyway, depending on the brand of the disc you may have issues due to the drive being picky about what media it will or will not read. It is best to use high-quality media with any drive, but especially so with laptop drives, as to avoid your predicament. You could try a DVD lens-cleaning disc, but if that doesn't work the problem probably lies with an incompatibility between your drive and that make of disc. If all else fails, it's time for a new SuperDrive.

9. dillacom macrumors regular

I had same issue. reset the NVRAM and it fixed it. hold P+R+option+command on boot until it reboots and let go. It was MAGIC!

10. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

not here....:p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tommorow morning I ll change my superdrive...;)
    only have the Mac for 6 months....
    maybe it had to do with the fact i wanted to burn Windows 7...

glad is not my MBP..sorry for my sister though...this is not acceptable...

11. Nawizo macrumors member

How do you reset the disk permissions?

Anyway mine gave this error shown in the first screen shot. I took out the battery and held the power button for 10 secs and then turned it back on. I burnt a small file in finder but when I tried to burn from itunes it gave me the errors in the last 2 screenshots at two different times

Attached Files:

12. Nawizo macrumors member

Mine also show that it failed to caliberate at some point