MacBook Pro SuperDrive failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capoditutti, Jan 3, 2008.

1. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Three weeks outside of warranty - aaarrrgghh!!!!

Will Apple sort this out for me? It's too soon, and i've hardly used it!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You can always try and contact Apple or an Apple Store. Otherwise it's fairly simple to buy one and install it yourself.

www.ifixit.com/guides/

:)

3. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

What's the deal with these Matshita drives - my last one failed as well in an Acer laptop and that was about two months after warranty expired as well..

4. geissap macrumors member

It's worth a try I've seen Apple grant exceptions for 3 weeks out.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

They're cheap. That's why :)

6. stereoscott macrumors newbie

stereoscott

7. bluebeetle99 macrumors newbie

Superdrive won't load and kicks out DVD

I have discovered my Intel MBP (2.16) would not load DVD's and kicks them out after 3 attempts to load. I also found numerous forum threads stating the same problem. I have tried the Memorex OptiDisc cleaning kit as well as changing DVD/CD preferences, both with little success.

I came across a thread indicating a suspicion that carrying the MBP with lid open may put stress on case above optical drive. I am guilty of carrying my MBP several times as discussed in that thread. I have also opened the case of my MBP several times to change the HD and a cooling fan. Putting the keyboard top back on during reassembly requires additional force to get the case to snap together on the side with the optical drive.

Considering these case issues, I eyeballed the front edge of my MBP case on each side of the track pad and found the front edge of the case to the right of the track pad slightly depressed. So I physically (slightly) torqued the case opposite of the slight depression. I could feel a slight flexing of the keyboard top and case when I did this. Then I loaded a movie DVD and it now plays. I did have to go to applications and activate DVD player because it didn't load automatically. This might have been because I had done some resets previously.

Considering the multiple threads experiencing this problem, I now believe the problem is with the MBP case and pressure on the optical drive.

Hope this viewpoint helps others with their super drive problems.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Take it you didn't have AppleCare...

I have a MBP from 2007 and it too have an Matshita SuperDrive... So far, there's not being any issues with it, so I can only say it's due to bad, bad luck?