Macbook Pro Superdrive gone crazy with blank DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk3pt1c, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

As simply as i can put it, my Macbook Pro does not read empty DVD-Rs (auto ejects them after a while) and does not write empty DVD+Rs...

WTF?

(i've tried restarting with cmd-option-P-R, no help)

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I am guessing you have Applecare or are covered under warranty? I would take it in to an Apple Store and find out the issue?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What MacBook Pro do you exactly have?

System Profiler will give you more info.
    [​IMG]

Also take a look at System Profiler > Hardware > Disc Burning and see what it says under DVD-Write.
    [​IMG]

4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

it's a MacBookPro 4,1 (i think it's the one prior to the unibody ones),

no apple care or warranty...

and under DVD-Write it says: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

so it *should* write just about anything, and i have in the past burned both single and dual layer DVDs...

this is a recent thingy... :mad::confused:

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

6. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

If it just keeps ejecting the disk then it could be that your superdrive has a problem. I have the same MBP as you (4,1) and had the same problem. It used to eject disks all the time. Fortunately I had it repaired under Applecare. However the superdrives are known to not be particularly reliable. Certainly less so than a normal PC drive.

With mine if I kept repeatedly inserting the disk eventually it accepted it, but it took upto 20 times each go.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I had two Superdrives go bad on MBP 4,1s (Early 2008), with issues similar to yours.

The second time, it was out of warranty (no AppleCare) so I took it into an Apple store and made my case that this was the replacement that went bad and they replaced in free of charge. YMMV.

8. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

The sad thing is that there are no apple stores in greece, there is an "official" reseller that sells online or supplies to other stores... and i've heard the worst when it comes to their tech support...
    But it looks like i'm gonna have to go through with it since i have no other option...

9. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Warranty

As several people have experienced this, in most countries it is still under some sort of warranty, as it is a more occurring error.
    Just bring it in and ask for a repair, if they give you any trouble try calling :apple: or reasoning.
    Good luck!
    Edit: just read you are in Greece, in Europe you have pretty good customer rights. They should do the job free of charge.

10. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

thanks you guys! :eek:
    i'll see what i can do and let you know how much it cost...
    :confused:

11. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

I agree, sounds like that drive has had it, I had the opposite problem, would be fine with DVDs but freak out on CDs. Needed a new drive. You should be fine with a new drive, good luck!