Macbook Pro Superdrive has a CD stuck in it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Talyn, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Talyn macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm having fairly major problems with the superdrive on my Macbook Pro I bought in Feb '06. Here's the story:

I burnt off a CD of work (all fine) and removed it. I had to do another CD, so I went to put a new blank CD in there. The Superdrive didn't grab and pull it however, and after pushing it all the way in :)rolleyes:) it's now stuck. The eject button flashes up the eject symbol on the screen, however there's absolutely no mechanical noises as if the drive is trying to push a disc out. It almost feels like there's no CD in there.

System Profiler and Disk Utility also report that the drive is there and working fine, but they say there is no media inserted. Unfortunately I know there is (thanks to my own idiocy) and I'm wondering how best to proceed? I have tried doing all the old tricks of starting up holding the mouse button etc, but I'm nervous about jamming things in the slot to try and yank it out as some websites have suggested.

I do have AppleCare, so I can go into a store and get it looked at, but I have an essay to write on it this weekend, and losing my computer for a few days would be a disaster.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading :)

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I think you pushed it in just above or just under the rollers that reel the CD in. Other than taking it apart yourself, your best bet is to go to a repair centre, I'm afraid.

3. portent macrumors 6502a

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

try needle nose plyers and try to pull it out. dont use a lot of force. if that does not work. do the essay first then take the computer to apple.