Macbook Pro Superdrive is loud!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by psychotropic, Jan 25, 2009.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

When I burn a cd using my Macbook Pro it sounds like an airplane taking off, does anyone else's Pro do the same thing? If so is there anything I can do to fix this problem? It also does it when I watch a dvd, its rather annoying.

Thanks,

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The disc spinning makes that sound, there is nothing you can do about it.

3. cshen macrumors newbie

4. linuxophile macrumors regular

Hi there,

it is difficult to know exactly which sounds it makes: however I noticed that (on my imac) some dvd/cd's make a "rattling" sound which someone may describe as a propeller engine. My interpretation of the erratic phenomenon is that the media is (sometimes) slightly unbalanced and/or warped.
    Some level of noise is functionally unavoidable: but if you think it is not normal and it makes the noise for all dvd/cd's then it could possibly be a misaligned loading mechanism.

Of course it is impossible for me to tell from a verbal description: bring it to a repair shop and ask them.

5. lordthistle macrumors 6502

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The slot load drives make noise by nature. The loading mechanism and all. If it sounds VERY loud, test out the noise levels by checking a nearby Apple Store MBP.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I see the OPs point. I was trying to watch a DVD on my Macpro the other day and it was so loud when seeking that it was annoying. I wound up watching it on my DVD player and that is virtually silent. Wonder why the difference?