Macbook Pro superdrive...plays music when it can't read a disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MVApple, Nov 16, 2008.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I've been having some problems with my late 08 macbook pro's superdrive. I insert a dvd backup (made on a dual layer dvd) and sometimes it will read it and sometimes it'll spit it out after attemping to read it for 10-15 seconds. If it does read it, it'll probably take 10-15 seconds for it to recognize the disc and in the course of this time it'll play a 3 tone musical sound. The sound is clearly coming from the superdrive.

If I insert the commercial dvd it'll read very quickly and no musical sound gets played.

Now if I connect an external dvd drive, it'll read my dual layer discs no problem so this issue is clearly related to the superdrive and not the mac os x.

Are the superdrives this bad? Or is there something wrong with mine? Also, will I have better luck with these discs if I burn them using the mac? And if so, will it matter if I burn them with the super drive or my external drive?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Buy a DVD lense cleaner disc. They cost $10, but are worth having. My MacBook Pro started spitting out DVD's half of the time, so I put in the lense cleaner disc and it's working fine now.

All it takes is for there to be a little bit dust on one of the DVD's you put into the drive to end up on the lense and cause it to have a hard time reading discs.

Can't explain the 3-tone noise though - sure it isn't the noise it makes when mounting a DVD (not the slot noise, the actual noise it makes once it has read the disc and is mounting).

3. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I guess I'll have to try the lense cleaner. The laptop is only a week old and I check my discs to make sure they are clean but there's always dust around. And yes I'm sure that the superdrive is playing some notes because it sounds musical. When it's spinning up it does make some noise that's close to a beep but I can tell that it's the SuperDrive spinning.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Got an external mic? I've keen to hear this!

5. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry no external mic so I have no way of recording it. If you really want to hear it I can call you and let you listen.

*edit*

I called applecare and they determined the superdrive is faulty and told me my options were either to get it repaired or return it to amazon as a DOA. I asked them if I could get an exchange since I really need the computer and they said that they could if I had bought it from Apple. Since I didn't though they had to pass me to sales to see what my options were and then sales says I need to talk to apple care. Now I'm on hold with Apple Care and they are waiting to see what they can do for me. This is getting irritating. They should know what the policies are. I'm going to try and see if amazon takes it back or try setting up an appointment at an apple store.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Haha. The internal mic might pick it up, if you turn the amplification up full in system preferences.