MacBook Pro Superdrive Scratching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JRW300, Aug 27, 2008.

1. JRW300 macrumors newbie

Hi, and most of you non-noobs will probably have heard this before, but I'm new to Mac and MacRumors.

I bought a MacBook Pro Peryn, and aside from the very smallest, most invisible cosmetic defects to the MacBook Po, there is only one problem: the SuperDrive slightly scratches disks inserted into the slot-load. I only see them after I copy info from the disk, burn disks, or spin up the disk very fast (HandBrake).

Is this normal, due to the form factor of the SuperDrive (super-thin)? Or is this part of a wider problem, possibly from failing write heads or something?

Apart from that, this is one of the fastest computers I have ever used, (also very beautiful),

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Only seen this on systems where the drive opening was compressed (crushed in book bag etc). It is not normal behavior.

If it has always been that way, it probably came from the factory with a defect. Have Apple fix it.

Cheers,

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you press hard on the top case or have you ever slammed your fists on the palm rest area?

4. JRW300 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I am very careful not to move the notebook around while reading CDs, I do not rest my palms on the drive, and the notebook is way too new to have the opening crush or warp. Overall, I treat the notebook like my baby: ie, only handle the display from the center, anal about the screen, never tilt the screen back towards the heat sink, that sort of thing.

This is a notebook as an upgrade from an HP Pavilion 7+ year old computer, and it reads disks like a champ.

5. JRW300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Returned!

Despite buying it 2+ months ago, no questions were asked about possible situations that may have led to drive damage. They actually gave me the option of new or replacement drive. Really, the best treatment I have ever had in a computer store. They even transferred all of my data to the new computer!

So far, I am letting the battery charge, then I'll see if the drive is good or not, I'll check back.
    Also, have any of you noticed a slight expanding of the aluminum at the base of the screen on the lid? I mean, when the screen is all the way back, the part of the lid that meets the heatsink?