MacBook Pro superficial damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericksan26, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ericksan26 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I hope all are in good health and lifestyle. My question is in regards to my notebook (MacBook Pro 15"). I recently dropped my notebook on the floor which inevitably led to a substantial amount of superficial damage on the lower/ left hand corner of my notebook. I was given an estimate of $400 dollars at the apple store to change the casing but found that to be a little too much for my pocket. I was hoping someone could please inform me on my possible options. I wanted to personally change the casing of my notebook but don't know where to go and buy one and/or if that is even possible???? Please help.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

A cover up maybe a option

http://www.macbook-case.com/

3. AndyFL macrumors regular

These are the first that come to mind, though I'm sure there are more out there:

http://www.pbparts.com/shop.php//_m_+_cs
    http://www.powerbookguy.com/xcart/catalog/MacBook-Pro-price0-p-1-c-249.html

Good luck!

4. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

this site has a bunch of parts. don't know how reliable they are though

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

take case off and pound it out.. alum is soft... if cracked, find someone who can weld it and grind the weld smooth, cost less than 400

then while your at it, polish it.. have the first Polished alum macbook pro :)

6. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Is there anything out there (like Brasso) that allows you to apply onto the aluminum body of the MBP to "cover" the scratches?

7. ericksan26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all, if you have any other suggestions please send it my way!!!

8. ericksan26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Installation Instructions

All of your comments were helpful and I thank you for your time. However I do have another question, where can I find instructions to install the lower casing of my laptop??? Please help.

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You can find instructions for repair on just about any Mac here.

Great instructions, very well done. Just be sure you have all the tools before you start, a well-lighted work surface, and don't be in a hurry.

MacDann

10. ericksan26 thread starter macrumors newbie

External Drive CD/DVD/Etc

That last comment was especially helpful, thank you. I have one last questions and I think I will be satisfied. It seems that changing the bottom casing of my macbook pro may be somewhat difficult. I was told by a friend to just get an external drive CD/DVD/Etc. Does anyone know where I can find a quality one that is mac compatible. I have been searching to no success. THANK YOU ALL!!! This has been such a pleasure.