MacBook Pro support in South Africa

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoyM, Dec 16, 2010.

1. RoyM macrumors newbie

I am looking at buying a MacBook Pro in the US and bringing it back to South Africa - obviously with the 3-year worldwide AppleCare Protection Plan for $249. It works out much cheaper to get it there.

However, I have heard that others who have done this have had huge problems with support and if something goes wrong - as the local Apple stores are only authorized resellers and try get out of carrying out repairs etc if they are not bought in the country. Also, software updates are apparently for the country where it is first registered? Is it worth saving the money to bring one out here, or just pay more and buy it here?

Anyone who has had similar experiences, please help/advise

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You should ask from the resellers that what is their policy. If they accept foreign MBPs with foreign AppleCare, then it should be fine. Remember to ask it on paper. AppleCare is, however, universal so the resellers should not have a right to decline.

Do the resellers sell AppleCare or something similar?

4. ryanrich macrumors regular

I live in SA and haven't ever had a problem using AppleCare through the resellers. Didicape and Project 3 are the best Apple authorised repair centres.

If I were you I would purchase the MBP in the US with the standard 1 year warranty, and then when back in SA purchase an extension straight through Digicape, so that you won't have any issues. Digicape Extended Warranty

5. RoyM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. Two different Apple Stores here confirmed they are obliged to honour the Apple warranties etc, so should be fine.