Macbook Pro Switcher & Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xexr, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Xexr macrumors newbie

Hello all,

After the great news today, I intend to place my order for a 2.4Ghz 15" MBP as soon as I have transferred the money to my account ~ friday. Few questions:

1.) This seems the best way to do it? Given that I'll have both tiger & leopard this way, for a mere £5.95?

2.) I want to upgrade both the ram & harddrive, but after some googling it seems that upgrading the harddrive yourself voids the warranty? Is there anyway to do it yourself without voiding the warranty, as I have found a 200GB 7200 rpm drive on ebuyer for just over £100, not to mention I get to keep the original drive and sell/caddy it. If theres no way, how would I get apple to do it as I have no apple stores near me (Nottingham, UK), how much would it cost?

3.) Regarding memory upgrades, I assume they come with 2x1GB sticks of 667MHz ram, would buying 800Mhz give any noticable improvement? I intend to purchase 4GB so 2x2GB sticks - where have you guys been buying from in the UK, is ebuyer a good start?

4.) I'm a student and will be buying on my campus network to get the best discount rates, it states that you get a 3 year parts and labour warranty free as a student and you can purchase apple care for like £50 more. What benefits will the extra £50 bring me? Is it actually worth it?

Many thanks,

P.S Loving this site and forums, answered a hell of a load of my questions already :)

2. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

1.) Leopard would be the best way (is what I think you are asking).

2.) You cannot do it yourself without voiding the warranty. There are many apple resellers who are certified to do the repairs, also check with local repair shops many are apple certified (ask to see certificate so they dont lie to you)

3.) No you will not see any improvement in 800MHz RAM, the system will only run @ 667MHz if you put in either 800 or 667 RAM.

4.) I will leave that to someone else as I dont fully understand the question.