MacBook Pro switches on but no a/v response

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nw99, Dec 28, 2014.

1. nw99 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I recently installed an SSD on it. Everything seemed to be going fine when it suddenly went blank. ( without a popping noise)

When I boot it I get no audio or visual response. However, I know the laptop is turning on because the white led on the front goes on and the fan also starts running. The battery indicator on the side is working and my laptop is also charging. I opened the bottom and reinstalled the memory. That worked but the laptop went back to the blank state soon after. I've tried doing this again with no response. I've tried turning it on on safe mode and an smc reset. Both have failed.

Please help

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The "popping sound" was the hard drive parking its head when you shut it off. Since SSDs have no moving parts you will not hear that sound. I would try removing the SSD and reinstalling the hard drive and seeing if that works.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Could it be a loose connection with the ribbon cable (either at "the drive end" or "the motherboard end"), as a result of installing the hard drive?