macbook pro tb 15 review after one month

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 537635, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 537635 macrumors 6502

I know there is a couple of these around but I just find it incredible, how people exaggerate in negativity towards design and usability changes. One would think that a tech forum would be filled by forward-looking people and not conservative tradicionalists, who refuse any and all change.

Coming from 2012 15 rmpb (replaced it with a smaller 13 inch due to traveling a lot) and 2013 13 rmbp. Had some issues with the 2013 battery, they did fix it, but I decided it is time for a replacement.

- portability: the only negative here is the footprint, which comes into play only when you are putting it the bag or out of it. I could handle the 13 inch with a single hand, it is more difficult with a 15 inch. Survivable. On the other hand you get a much larger and better display, which is not noticable when carrying it.

- trackpad: just wow, palm rejection works 99% of the time and with BetterTouchTool you can program individual areas (top left, top middle...) for additional commands. You could do that before, but there are more accidental presses due to the small size of the trackpad.

- keyboard: There's a learning curve. Still have the old 15 inch. It would be difficult to go back. Keys wobble, light bleeds around them. Because of lower force needed to press the keys, I can now type faster, especially around the edges of the keyboard, which I press with 4th or 5th finger.

- touchbar: Longer learning curve. Still not sure if it will be useful in the long run. It is definitely better than the old function keys. Contrary to what other say, you CAN use it without looking, if you put important stuff to the right, where the touchbar touches the fingerprint reader and you can feel where the virtual buttons start.

- usb-c: This is how Apple does it, remember? They took away the floppy, the serial ports, the DVD. It's 2017. I use Dropbox Pro, Airdrop and sync big data to my Synology NAS. I have used the USB-A dongle exactly once - I did a manual data restore via an external HD. I will buy a usb-c to lightning cable and a 29W charger. So for travelling this combo will be slightly lighter than the rmbp 13 + magsafe. Really, no regrets. USB-A, it's been a great decade, but goodbye.

- ergonomics: Nobody stresses this a lot, but for me this is the single most important quality of Apple devices. After a short learning curve everything is exactly where it should be for maximum efficiency and maximum comfort. The laptop is now so thin, that hands are basically resting on the table and there is no edge of the device to be felt. Touchscreen on a laptop, come on. It's incredible how every other company pursues that yet it makes zero sense in terms of usability. Raising the hands from the keyboard and trackpad towards the screen and doing something instead of using the thumb and moving the pointer. LOL. The extra extra large trackpad IS THE NEW TOUCHSCREEN. I imagine that the next iteration will expand touchbar to the trackpad. And after haptics evolve even more to the entire keyboard.

- build quality: Nothing new here. I just find it great that something mass produced can be done with such precision.

All-in-all this is a great machine. For those deciding to get the 2015 model, the logic is the same as 4 years ago when people still bought the old models, because they had DVD drives. For those, who use this for a living and are forward-looking this is a no-brainer. Unless...

Price is outrageous. I just bought a HP laptop for my father for €199. I could buy more than 15 HPs for the price of a single MacBook. But this is the price we apparently are willing to pay.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yes, I remember. Only a few years ago Apple said Thunderbolt and MDP ports were the future and put 6 on my Mac Pro and a pair on my MacBook Pro and encouraged everyone to buy new TB dongles, peripherals and TB displays.

Now we have to repeat the process all over again with USB-C.

I realize technology changes, but Apple just puts themselves in these ridiculous situations where they look foolish when they first abandon legacy ports for the latest and greatest, only to have to do it again in a few years. Anyone who does remember Thunderbolt/MDP realizes just how foolish this is all over again. Sadly I suspect we will be back here in another 3-5 years talking about an all new set of dongles, peripherals, docks and displays.

As a travelling speaker/presenter, I now have to carry more dongles than ever just to be able to present a basic PowerPoint presentation or do a demo.

3. 537635 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually in the same boat in regards to travelling and what I do.

I never present from the laptop. It's a hassle. I go to the stage with an iPhone, get a few weird looks from technicians and then connect via Lightning-VGA (or HDMI) adapter and do the demo. My presentations are around 1GB (lots of videos and animations) and I just AirDrop them to phone before doing the presentation.

4. Dave245 macrumors 601

I have to say i agree with you on the touchscreen issue, it not only looks silly to see someone touching the screen on their laptop but from friends and family who have used them (Surface was used by sister, and my stepbrother use to use a Dell) they are not very practical to do "proper" work on, apparently because they often have a tablet mode and PC mode, they are not very good trying to be both, my stepsister was saying that in fact the Surface was terrible at being a tablet.

Me personally i prefer to keep touch screen separate from my desktop/laptop machines, the iPad is (in my opinion) the best tablet for being a tablet and the Mac is a great computer for more serious tasks with OSX, the two should NEVER be combined. I do however think that as time moves forward, we will see PC's (personal computers not just Windows) being used less and less, as most people can now use the iPad Pro for simple tasks such as web browsing, shopping, watching videos and so on, and with Apple adding more and more features, i think that the gap is going to get smaller. But for those people who do more serious work, and need more serious power the personal computer will not be replaced. This is basically what Steve Jobs said back in 2010, i do agree with it.